EU Countries selling iPhones

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by manorpark, Feb 25, 2009.

1. manorpark macrumors member

Someone has told me that some EU countries sell unlocked iPhones as it is against the law to have locked handsets ?

Can anyone confirm if this is true and in which countries ?

Thanks

MP

2. svndmvn Guest

3. manorpark thread starter macrumors member

Thanks svndmvn

It does seem that this may be a runner, I was going to but a PAYG handset from O2 and use a turbo sim.

Has anyone got any up to date prices on these ?

MP

4. sallythemac Guest

£349 for 8GB, £399 for 16GB (although its a little less because of the the 2.5% VAT drop). You may need to top up £10 or more from o2 or CPW.

I wouldn't recommend a turbo SIM tho, i would sooner software unlock it. To the best of my knowledge, Turbo SIMs change voltage between SIM and handset and can cause hardware faults not covered by warranty.

5. Cosmoza macrumors member

Cosmoza

Unlocked iPhones can be bought from Italy and Czech Republic atleast. I am investigating if also from Poland.

6. manorpark thread starter macrumors member

sally

Thanks I did know the O2 prices as I am in London. was trying to see if it was worth trying to get an unlocked one in Europe and how much they charge for them.

cosmoza

Yes a couple of people had suggested those countries but I cant seem to find prices.

MP

7. polishmacuser macrumors 6502a

polishmacuser

Poland is correct and all of europe i believe can do this its only america thats so uptight :/

8. jmmo20 macrumors 65816

Nope, most EU countries sell locked iphones.
    Spain, UK, France, Germany, as far as I know. :)

9. svndmvn Guest

Turbo sims and such are not the way to go..
    For now 2.2.1, but not for long IMO, isn't hackable (from a baseband point of view) but I believe you can get an older Firmware like 2.2 from iCommunity, a link was posted earlier on this forum. You can later use pwnage tool and yellow snow, so you can use any sim.
    Looks like contractless iPhones are cheapest in Switzerland and UK, I could be wrong though
    PS I fixed the first link as well..

10. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

True, carriers in all those countries sell iPhones with a SIM lock. But in Spain and France at a minimum, there is a service to unlock the phones upon request.

In France at least, whilst it is legal for a carrier to lock a phone initially, it is illegal for a carrier to outright refuse to unlock the phone when the customer asks for it. (Although, if the customer asks for it while they have more than 6 months left in their tie-in contract, the carrier has the option of charging a fee for providing the unlocking service; after the 6-month limit, the carrier must do it for free. In either case, the act of unlocking the phone does not release the customer from the obligation to continue purchasing service from the carrier for the remainder of the contract term.)

11. ufrontu macrumors newbie

Unlocked In italy

selling price for unlocked 16 gb: 569 euros

12. manorpark thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the replies !

There does seem to be some unlocked ones about in certain countries. I still cant seem to find out if I can get a PAYG unlocked and the price.

I can get a locked one from O2 here for £350 but have to then go down the unlock/sim route as I want to run it on Vodafone.

On the link above it shows that in Spain they can unlock for you, I will be in Spain next month, so does anyone know,

Can you get it PAYG in Spain ?

If so how much ?

Will they then unlock it for a fee ?

MP

13. Sebbe macrumors newbie

Here in Belgium you can buy the iPhone unlocked as well. 8gb is 525 euros, 16gb 615 euros.

14. manorpark thread starter macrumors member

Seems like the price in Belgium and Italy is dearer by about £100 compared to O2 here, so just depends on the costs to get it unlocked or buy the sim converter.

Spain is my last option, or then it is off to the O2 store.

MP

15. jmmo20 macrumors 65816

In france there is, yes, because there is a law that requires them to accept unlock requests.

In Spain there are none. In fact there are rumors that say that Movistar will even deny unlock request even after the 24-month contract is over. I should know since I have a Movistar iPhone :)

16. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

You can get unlocked iPhones in Portugal too, but they're more expensive than in other countries suggested here.

17. skyfreedom macrumors member

Viva Portugal

Sorry just had to say it :) my home country:D

18. manorpark thread starter macrumors member

I am going to Portugal soon as well :) thats another non runner then !

I dont think the £350 in the UK is a bad price, except if they drop it, if (when) a new model comes out in the summer. It's just the hassle of getting it un-locked.

Getting the PAYG also means your not locked into a contract if a new one comes out and I want to sell and upgrade.

Ahh, decisions, decisions !!!

MP