EU iPod Touch 4th Gen. Volume Cap

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by scbond, Oct 16, 2010.

1. scbond macrumors 6502

For those of us with the new iPod Tough 4th Gen. bought within the EEC/EU that wish to remove the volume cap placed by French law you can follow the original guide here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=368835

However, the file needed has been relocated on the latest device. I managed to find it in /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Celestial.framework/. The file is still called RegionalVolumeLimits.plist and, although I haven't done it yet, it should be the same part that you edit. :D

2. scbond thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok, the file isn't the same as the original one as far as I can see. This is what we have...

bplist00fl

!"#$%&'()*+,-.RZGRZIRFPRDNRZRRZBQZRZKUZG/ZORFBRZDRHNRNFRFDRTNRZVQDRPZQSRZOQFUZO/ZDRDK#?Íè\(ı¬è#?Íè\(ı¬è#?Íè\(ı¬è#?Íè\(ı¬è#?Íè\(ı¬è#?Íè\(ı¬è#?Íè\(ı¬è#?Íè\(ı¬è#?Íè\(ı¬è#?Íè\(ı¬è#?Íè\(ı¬è#?Íè\(ı¬è#?Íè\(ı¬è#?Íè\(ı¬è#?Íè\(ı¬è#?Íè\(ı¬è#?Íè\(ı¬è#?Íè\(ı¬è#?Íè\(ı¬è#?Íè\(ı¬è#?Íè\(ı¬è#?Íè\(ı¬è#?Íè\(ı¬è

Does anybody know which values to change?

3. Mr Slippy IV macrumors 6502

Mr Slippy IV

Would you benefit simply from downloading an American version of the OS?

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

No, it's all the same version. The region is set by iTunes.

5. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

As you've already said, that's not what it's supposed to look like. You'll have to find a different text editor to open the file with, some have issues opening certain plist files.

6. Mr Slippy IV macrumors 6502

Mr Slippy IV

Ah, alright then. I will now proceed to leave the thread as I have nothing useful to add.

Good day to you sirs.

7. supermassive macrumors regular

supermassive

That's a binary .plist format, you'll need a plist editor. There is a free application for windows.

I also have volume capped device but that doesn't bother me at all. If anything I welcome it.

8. scbond, Oct 17, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2011

scbond thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok, I used an application for editing code but I guess it only supports plist files as opposed to being specifically designed for them. I'll try and find something else and take a look.

And for those that warn others, or rather tell them, that the limit is there for a reason and that their iPod is fine, please bare in mind that iPods bought within the European Union do not reach the volume that others do. We aren't increasing the volume, we're restoring it to default and if it isn't for you and you are happy and content with a cap on it then please keep your warnings and advice to yourself and leave those who want this to work on it. There hasn't been any of the warnings you usually get but I know it would happen if I didn't add this.

9. supermassive macrumors regular

supermassive

Well I didn't warn anyone. It's my opinion and I'm free to express it. Don't you think so?

10. scbond thread starter macrumors 6502

Like I said, nothing along those lines have been said. It angers me and I'm sure it angers many others when it does happen though as nobody stands outside every Apple store, every Sony Centre/Sony Style etc. and warn people about the volume of the devices they are buying...it's up to the user. I don't think these people that do give warnings realise that if a person is willing to Jailbreak their iPod Touch, set-up file transfers over network using SSH, find the relevant file and then edit it then they aren't going to listen to a warning.

11. scbond, Oct 17, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2013

scbond thread starter macrumors 6502

As has been suggested, I downloaded a plist editor, called PlistEdit Pro (it's free), and right away I can see the values for the keys.

Thanks for the help guys.