Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nukiduz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 23, 2006
hi to all. i use to look at the apple spain store as i'm living there and i've just noticed a curious thing.
apple computers use to cost more here in europe due to extra fee charges and because every company use to convert 1$ to 1€ (and it shoul be 1$ to 0,78 right now). this is why 17" imac costs 1339€ here and 1299$ in the states.
however and amazingly, the macbook costs 1069€ here and 1099$ in usa! first time apple doesnt use this unjust conversion rate :D

gauchogolfer

macrumors 603
Jan 28, 2005
American Riviera
nukiduz said:
hi to all. i use to look at the apple spain store as i'm living there and i've just noticed a curious thing.
apple computers use to cost more here in europe due to extra fee charges and because every company use to convert 1$ to 1€ (and it shoul be 1$ to 0,78 right now). this is why 17" imac costs 1339€ here and 1299$ in the states.
however and amazingly, the macbook costs 1069€ here and 1099$ in usa! first time apple doesnt use this unjust conversion rate :D

With the ratio between the dollar and euro right now at around 1.26:1.00 there is still a big price difference. A big thing to keep in mind (as I'm sure you know, living in Spain) is the much larger VAT in Europe compared to the US. When I lived in CA the rate is ~7.5%, while here in France its 19.6%. The price on the Apple store doesn't include the VAT in the US, but it does in the European store.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Exactly. VAT is added to the shelf price, but sales tax in the U.S. is added at the point of sale, so even if the rates were the same, the price in the U.S. would appear to be less (but in fact would not be less).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.