Europe prepaid data/minute microSIM + iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thadoggfather, Jun 8, 2010.

1. thadoggfather macrumors G3

thadoggfather

Say I get an iPhone 4 (an unlocked one from a different country, or unlock it myself if it's an option) with microSIM -- does Europe offer prepaid data/minute plans? Does it come with microSIM? I feel like SIM card is much more common.

If I get iPhone 4 factory unlocked or do it myself, and if microSIM is widely available in prepaid for data and minute plans (how are these? any experience?) then I don't need to hold onto my 3GS unless I just want a backup.

2. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

Depends what countries you are visiting. A lot of European telecom providers have recently announced to support and sell microsim cards starting this summer (most from june/july). If you are going to buy the iPhone 4 in Europe I can recommend you Belgium. It's cheaper compared to, for example, Italy or Spain. And it's officially simlock free. 575 euros for a 16 GB model :)

And yeah, you can almost everywhere buy prepaid cards (for example in a supermarket). Internet prices differ.

3. zub3qin macrumors 65816

zub3qin

Has anyone seen firsthand microSIMs (prepaid) in Europe? Are they easy to come by in all the tiny stores, like regular SIMs?

4. josielinnea macrumors regular

josielinnea

I haven't seen microsims in prepaid phonecards ever (Sweden). However, I don't think it's impossible to buy a prepaid card at a retailer and also a blank microsim from the same operator (normally used for subscriptions) and then call the customer service of the operator and have them activate the blank microsim instead and move the number. It should be possible for customer service to do within minutes.

But if you're going to travel I suggest you get a microsim-cutter instead from ebay. Then buy any simcard and cut it yourself and save yourself some hassle.

5. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

The officially unlocked iPhone is the cheapest in the UK (but still more expensive than Canada). Prepaid with data in Germany is pretty much non-existant.

6. Fuzzy.Dunlop macrumors regular

One thing I love about this forum is how everyone ignores the original question then goes of on a tangent :rolleyes:.. Do what Josie say's if you've travelled enough round the world you (should) know that you just pick up the best deal when you land

why do you need a data plan? Just use wifi

7. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Anyone had experience in Europe? Looking to get one for Italy.