European and Canadian iPhone Users, Please Settle This?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cecoleman, Dec 7, 2010.

1. cecoleman macrumors regular

With the recent news of Consumer Reports trashing AT&T service here in the United States, I am very curious what the experience is like for iPhone users in other countries on other carriers. Do your carriers have a bad reputations in your country or region? How was it before and after the iPhone? And lastly, whats it like for you as the user in regards to dropped calls and data outages. Me personally haven't had much of an issue with AT&T. As a former Verizon subscriber, I don't feel that my service or dropped call rate is any worse than it was when I was on Verizon.

I'm not interested in AT&T user experiences, I want to hear about non-AT&T user experiences only. Tell me what country and provider you are on and what the experience is like?

2. spookme macrumors member

In Uk

Hi I'm in the UK and currently on O2. Until a little earlier this year O2 was the only company offering iPhone here, much like you with AT&T I think.

For me personally I haven't really had what I would call any major issues with O2, coverage has been OK, not real issues with Data or call drop outs. Any problems I have had have tended to be hardware issues.

As for before iPhone, I was a BB user, again no real issues with O2 as far as service is concerned in that way.

When it comes to the whole other side of service, as in Customer Service I think it would be fair to say there have been a few time when it has been a little difficult finding things out or getting to the bottom of a billing problem etc. But i would say I have personally had any major issues.

I think you are likely to find some other users who have had major problems.

Just my view, although I wouldnt say I am by any stretch a O2 Fanboy! :)

Other providers currently in the UK are:

Vodafone
    TMobile
    Orange
    Tesco.

Happy hunting :D

3. SnowDX macrumors 6502

We've got 2 networks with the iPhone in Canada (5 providers that officially offer the iPhone, actually might be 6, but on only 2 networks). Rogers/Fido use one network, Bell/Telus/Virgin/Koodoo/SaskTel use the other. I don't know much about Rogers network anymore, but it's got 3G GSM and Edge and I believe that have new HSP coverage as well? Someone else can confirm that. The Bell/Telus etc. network is only HSPA coverage.

The 2 network do offer different coverage so you could get different answers. I'm on the Bell/Telus/etc. network and prior to that I was on Telus' CDMA network. With my switch to the iPhone I was moved to the HSPA network from the CDMA network. My coverage is worse in some buildings now than with the CDMA network but in my city, the HSPA network is new and apparently more towers are going up in the city eventually so it's known that in building coverage might not be as great as CDMA.

I've never had a data outage and I've had 2 dropped calls I think, but those were in concrete buildings where my signal was already low. I know that there were issues with texting on the HSPA network in more congested cities especially, but since the HSPA network is fairly new across Canada, it's likely had some growing pains. Also, the texting issues I read about were not iPhone specific.

4. iKrl, Dec 7, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2010

iKrl macrumors regular

Why only Canada and Europe? If you'd like to know Mexico had until the iPhone 4 an exclusive carrier. Here the carrier is possibly the best one that currently carries the iPhone, the other one is Movistar and it doesn't have the coverage that Telcel has.

My experience with this carrier is somewhat good, however you might think that because it is Mexico it has bad service and we are used to that but that isn't the case. The coverage is good and even though the 3G speed isn't as fast as AT&T it is available most of the time. You might also think that because it is a third world country there aren't many iPhones but believe me if someone from the middle class (and up) doesn't own an iPhone they are very likely owners of another smartphone (mainly blackberries).

Only up until recently has the service become terrible but they claim that it will be back to normal (good service) as they are upgrading the network.

I really don't know how so many people can hate a carrier like AT&T when the customer service we get from Telcel is crap. Lol you guys should all experience Telcel's customer service and you would never complain again about any company. Lol

5. cecoleman thread starter macrumors regular

This is good stuff. Users from other countries out there there feel free to chime in as well. I guess I'm also curious whether or not your iphone experience is comparable to other smart phones out there in your market. In the States, there are always GoogleBerry users out there flaming how their calls arent dropped on Verizon or Sprint. Or people like Paul Thurrott claiming his WP7 doesn't drop on AT&T like his old iPhone did. I'm just not buying stories or claims like this here. How is it abroad?

6. Constantine1337 macrumors 6502

I live in Germany.

iPhone has been popular here from day1. Deutsche Telekom (or T-Mobile) had the exclusivity up until 2 months ago. I was T-Mobile customer for 2 years, now I use O2. Both providers have sustained and very good network coverage (t-mobile is a bit better, but o2 is really good as well). There are no problems like AT&T in the US. Internet speeds are fine, no poor data speeds and such.
    This is mostly due to two facts:

1. Cell towers are much more dense here than in the states
    2. Cellular architecture is better I believe, its more robust

Again, as far as network quality is concerned, in Germany all is perfectly fine... at least it was for me, and there is 0 media bashing at providers for poor network quality and such.

7. mKTank macrumors 68000

mKTank

From Canada.

I've had iPhones since they were first introduced here, starting from the 3G to the 3GS and now the 4. I've never had a dropped call (despite my phone reporting that I've done a total of over ten hours of calltime) and I pretty much never lose signal.

So it's pretty damn good. Speeds are excellent, too.

8. cecoleman thread starter macrumors regular

This is good news for me, and I would love to hear more stories from more users from other parts of the world. Sounds like the iPhone's issue truly is related to the over-congested AT&T network here in the states. Anymore of you out there want to report?

9. deeesea macrumors 6502

I too am on the Rogers network in Canada,

I frequent to and from Kitchener waterloo and Toronto, and I can tell you my iphone drops calls occasionally in both toronto and waterloo (more so in waterloo than in toronto, i rarely drop calls in toronto).

That being said, my nexus one also dropped calls just as often as my current phone. but then again, I've never dropped calls with my N95, N82, K700, D900i, iphone 3g, iphone 3gs, HTC magic, and HTC Touch diamond 2. I ONLY started dropping calls with my N1 and iphone 4. It's really weird.

10. g35 macrumors 6502a

Rogers user in Winnipeg. Never dropped a call but I can replicate the signal reduction issue by placing a finger on the black line. Usually down to 1 bar from 4 or 5. No complaints here but I'm not really a picky person to begin with.

Rogers reputation: about the same before and after iPhone release. Their reputation has taken more of a hit due to their inability to release the iPhones properly. Every year on release day their computers crash or something and cause huge delays. Rogers has tried to advertise that they have the the most reliable network in Canada but Bell and Telus disputed that claim and Rogers had to pull it. I suspect it had some effect on public perception though in the time that it was advertised.

11. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Here in Australia we have 5 carriers with the iPhone and Apple sell them unlocked through the Apple Store and apple.com/au

We hate all the carriers but I've never had any issues with my iPhone 4, pretty much everywhere I go I'm with 4 - 5 bars and have never dropped a call. No drops with the 3G from day 1 till two years later when I got the iPhone 4 and haven't dropped a call with it either. Cased or uncased, no issues.

Can drop the displayed bars by one or two when I bury it in my hand but I usually hold it in my fingertips anyway when holding it to my ear so that's never posed a problem.

My carrier sent me a text the other night saying they had unlocked my iPhone for me, I restored and sure enough, it's now unlocked. Only three months into the contract too - was very nice of them.

12. mKTank macrumors 68000

mKTank

Winnipeg?

It's a small world.

U of M?

13. lexvo macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; nl-nl) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Here in the Netherlands T-Mobile was the exclusive supplier until one month ago.

I didn't have any dropped calls yet and reception is generally quite good. The only place I can do the death grip and get 'No service' is at home, but that is no big deal for me because I still have a land line and WiFi.

14. cecoleman thread starter macrumors regular

So far its been pretty unanimous, the iPhone troubles seem pretty much relegated to AT&T. And honestly AT&T is only struggling in high populated big cities. I live in a small 3g market in Northern Indiana and its quite good here. My only issue is sometimes the signal is inconsistent. I can't figure out why the bars fluctuate so much in the same general area. Keep them coming any other countries or observations out there. I think AT&T grumblers should take note of this encouragement from you folks in other countries.

15. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

AT&T is not struggling in the 4th largest city in America, Houston TX...most of the complaints regarding AT&T focus on NY and San Fran...AT&T has never been known as a bad carrier at least the Cingular side...

16. cecoleman thread starter macrumors regular

Well that's the myth isn't it. It's bad in about 15% of the market, so it must be bad everywhere...which obviously isn't the case.

17. innominato5090 macrumors 6502

innominato5090

here in Italy we have 4 major networks and 4 major carriers. only three of them sell the iPhone, while every device sold here is unlocked.
    my iPhone has an excellent reception, maybe one of the best between a lot of smartphones on the same carrier. no dropped calls or whatever.

18. Terrified macrumors regular

Some UK Feedback

I can offer a bit of feedback. Been an iPhone user on and off since iPhone 3G launch (apparently I was actually the first person in the country to have one working due to O2s credit check systems going down).

There's a huge problem in the UK (or at least parts of it) at the moment, down to lack of available bandwidth, and it's affecting at least 3 networks.

The problem is this - handset will connect to a local cell tower, and report that it's receiving full 3G signal. However, attempts to use data will time out, calls will frequently either drop or not connect, and texts will be delayed.

The first time I noticed this was using an iPhone 3G on O2. Didn't have a clue what was happening at the time. Took my iPhone back to the shop with details of the complaint, and remarkably they replaced it for a new handset. Didn't solve the problem but was nice to get a brand new device 8 or 9 months into my contract.

Same thing happened on 3's network, in particular when in various North East locations back in 2009, both using my mobile handset (then an HTC Magic), and using a 3 MiFi dongle. Both would display full 3G signal, but connections couldn't be made. I had many long chats with technical support at 3, and the issue was escalated to the point where I spoke to a fairly high up engineer. He stated, as I suspected, that there were so many people using 3G in these areas, that there was insufficient bandwidth available - ie, there was signal available for the handset to pick up, but not bandwidth available for the mast itself to use (am I right in thinking this is called backhaul? I only have rudimentary knowledge of this).

I'm led to believe it's almost the same as using a home wifi router - you could hypothetically connect 1000 objects to a wifi router with a 1mb connection available, and they'd all show full signal if they're within good distance of the router, but that still means you ain't going to get a connection, or if you do it'll be sporadic/patchy due to so many devices sending/receiving traffic.

3 eventually agreed to end my contracts with no early termination fees, and I moved to Orange with an iPhone 3G (again).

I'm now having the same issue again with them, but across a much wider geographical range. Get the problem all over the North East, in Cumbria, tried it in Scotland - same issue. Upgraded to iPhone 4, same issue. Ended up selling iPhone 4 for financial reasons (gutting), and bought a cheaper Android phone, same issues.

In all cases, switching to 2G stops the problem. I've now escalated to Orange, as I'm sick of paying £35 a month for 2G service (when the product sold to me was specifically billed as being a 3G device). They're excuse? There's not enough masts in the North. Brilliant. Funny how they didn't specify that at point of sale.

In my opinion (unqualified though it may be), this problem will only get worse unless the networks/carriers really throw some money at upgrading their infrastructure. More and more people are using 3G for data in this country, with smartphones increasingly becoming the norm.

I'm led to believe that following some upgrades, 3 is now much, much better than most other networks (at least in my area). Just a shame their customer service is so utterly rubbish.

Sorry for the long ramble, I don't normally post (long time lurker, only actually just registered an account), but thought this might at least provide some food for thought.

19. efp1 macrumors 6502

efp1

Lived in Spain and now I'm living in Finland. Have had the 3G and since June the iPhone 4. I've never had a dropped call in either country. :)

In Spain I was with the official carrier (Movistar) up until the iPhone 4 was released and in Finland I'm with Elisa/Saunalahti.

20. ttttaylor macrumors regular

i live in canada and am on the bell network.
    never had a dropped call, but i don't call very much.
    data works almost all the time. when it doesn't, it's pretty annoying, but it happens so infrequently that i wouldn't think of changing carriers or anything.
    sometimes i don't get reception when my friends not on bell do, but again, it happens so infrequently that i don't let it bother me.
    overall i am satisfied, but of course it could be better.
    things could always be better right?

21. Neolithium macrumors 6502a

Neolithium

I'm on Rogers, always have had a strong signal around the field and whatnot. The only time I have issues are in secure buildings on bases, where, of course there's not meant to be a signal LOL