European contractless iPhone 3G

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by vladonline, Jul 7, 2008.

1. vladonline macrumors newbie

Hi everyone out there...

Want to get my grubby little mits on an iPhone 3G, but don't fancy being tied down to a contract.

I'm based in england but will be driving through pretty much every european country this summer on a road trip, and I wondered if anyone knows which contries have the iPhone on PAYG or without a simlock and for how much.

I'm a bit of a newbie so thanks for any help!

2. aside macrumors newbie

Hi,

I just came across your post while googling a similar topic--I hope it's not too late.

In Italy, you can get contractless 8/16 GB phones for €499/€569 (£392.59/£447.66), including VAT. Same price for TIM and Vodafone stores. Those are the only two carriers having the iPhone at present. Ask for a "senza contratto" (contractless) phone, and don't worry if they ask you for ID anyway: it's required to register pay-as-you-go SIMs as well.

With Vodafone Italy, you can buy some credit for the SIM you'll get and purchase a monthly data option for €10, so you can use it while you're on your Italian tour. You get 600 MB/month in Italy. Data roaming outside of Italy has outrageous costs (€5 for 5 MB/day) so forget about using your Italian SIM while on tour in the other countries. Just throw awat your SIM when you get out of Italy--destroy it first though!

3. RobLikesBrunch macrumors regular

Unlocked iPhones are cheaper in Switzerland- you can buy one from Orange for 436 pounds...a whole 11.5 pounds cheaper- yay!