European Data Plans

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rayward, Sep 13, 2007.

1. rayward macrumors 68000

Obviously, there will data plans in Europe when they start selling iPhones over there. I wonder if travelling US users will be able to use the O2 network without all the exorbitant charges?

2. method525 macrumors member

Most likely not. Even with O2 supporting the iphone, an american customer would still be roaming which means they will see that 2 cent per KB.

3. aerospace macrumors 6502a

the best way would probably to sign up for a European prepaid plan if your going there for a few weeks. no contract & cheaper usage

4. Goldenbear macrumors regular

Not to mention the random data connections the phone apparently makes, even when you're not actively checking mail/surfing.

Btw, is that .02 dollars, or .02 cents? j/k :D

5. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

It'd probably be worth unlocking the phone and getting a pay-as-you-go sim card over here. I'd expect them to restructure the data transfer rates on the pay-as-you-go sim cards at the same time as the full contracts.

6. hotboiled macrumors member

in belgium

Mobile Data Bundle from Base (orange)
    for 5 euro monthly you get 10MB
    if you get over that 10MB you pay 2,5eur/MByte :eek::eek:
    so f***k data gprs edge 3g bull

and

There is no official European law that prohobits the locking of phones to a certain provider. It's the country itself that issues those laws atm.
    Example: in the Netherlands its a common practice to lock phones, in Belgium it is prohibited :mad: :eek: :( (because it violates the fair competition law)

so we get unlocked iphones or NO iphone :(:(:(:(

7. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

This was a reason I really hoped 3 would have won the contract.

It's great have 3 mobile broadband, being able to go to Italy, France, Spain etc, and take my broadband with me, and better still they do not charge you any extra for the usuage abroad.

I get 10GB for €19.99 per month (1.34mb download speed average) Made my recent trip to Italy a dream.

Shame my O2 mobile didn't do the same and ended up costing me over €120 in a week because of all the exhorbitant roaming charges... :(