European looking for an MCE Optibay or alternative

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BeachChair, Mar 29, 2011.

1. BeachChair macrumors 6502a

I'm finally gonna do the SSD+HDD mod. I found a good SSD, so now I just need an optical drive bay.
    Seems like MCE ships internationally, but $100 seems abit steep for such a simple device. Not to mention being shipped from US, it will get slapped with a bunch of extra tolling/taxing fees.
    I can't find it on Amazon.co.uk or Amazon.de.

What optical drive bay did you europeans chose when you made this mod?

2. Kanthony macrumors member

I bought one for $17 off ebay, just make sure to get the 9.5mm for the unibody. I'd check out ebay, although you don't get an enclosure for the optical drive, just the hard drive enclosure.

3. legreve macrumors regular

legreve

Mate... look on the last page of the mce optibay alternative thread. I took photos of.the package I ordered from Germany. It would seem that zapware.de imports and sells the mce optibay. I'm very happy with it....:)

4. nightmaresonwax macrumors member

Hey legreve - I was just searching and found your post - I have the same MPB as you and funnily enough have ordered the same vertex 3 240gb & wd scorpio black 7200 750gb hard drives, but still need to get the optibay, and don't really want to get a cheap one off eBay... So you got your MCE optibay from zapware.de & all was legit?
    Just one more question if you don't mind, with regards to getting everything off of my old hard drive - would you recommend restoring from Time Machine with the Mac OSX install disc, or is there better method you could suggest?
    Any help greatly appreciated ;)

5. legreve macrumors regular

legreve

Yeah... everything was fine. Got what I ordered and they send it snappy and with care.

Im the kind of guy who believes reinstalls :) I was gonna do the carbon copy thing, but it seems a lot of people are reporting slowness from restores.
    Copy all your storage data to an external drive and have a night of cups of coffee and installs hehe.