Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
I'll be traveling to London, Paris and Lucerne, Switzerland :))) in September and am trying to figure out how to use my gadgets over there. I've got an AT&T iP4, a Verizon iP4 and a wifi only iPad 2. Rather than messing with unlocking the AT&T iPhone and relying on cafes and hotels for internet service, I was looking for some sort of European MiFi device that will work everywhere I travel. Does any have any experience or recommendations doing the same?

I found a company called Tep Wireless that appears to offer this service. Anybody use them before? Are there alternatives? The price isn't terrible, I'm just worried about service and would appreciate any personal experience. Thanks!!!

Maddoger32

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2012
Tilpots, just finished using it during the London Olympics, and for a few days in Spain - can definitely recommend it. I used it quite a bit, but I got unlimited internet with it, so that was great. The device itself is pretty cool, got a little data counter so you can see in real-time how much data you're using. No issues jumping from England to Spain. Planning on using them again for Christmas!

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
Tilpots, just finished using it during the London Olympics, and for a few days in Spain - can definitely recommend it. I used it quite a bit, but I got unlimited internet with it, so that was great. The device itself is pretty cool, got a little data counter so you can see in real-time how much data you're using. No issues jumping from England to Spain. Planning on using them again for Christmas!

AWESOME! I plan on getting the "unlimited" too. Ill be using one of these for everythimg from maps to boarding passes to translation. Gotta FaceTime with the grandparents watching my daughter, also. Did you try FT? I hope it's fast enough.

Have fun at the Games?

OnceYouGoMac

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2012
In front of my Mac

What are Tilpots? Is it like a mobile internet device that you plug into your Mac or use wireless with your iDevice?

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
What are Tilpots? Is it like a mobile internet device that you plug into your Mac or use wireless with your iDevice?

Sort of. Basically, a MiFi lets you take the internet anywhere. It's a battery powered device that wirelessly connects to cell towers and passes along the signal via wifi to your wireless capable devices. The advantage of this particular MiFi will allow me to use data on my US devices without having to pay roaming penalties or outrageous data charges overseas to my US carriers. Make sense?

OnceYouGoMac

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2012
In front of my Mac
Sort of. Basically, a MiFi lets you take the internet anywhere. It's a battery powered device that wirelessly connects to cell towers and passes along the signal via wifi to your wireless capable devices. The advantage of this particular MiFi will allow me to use data on my US devices without having to pay roaming penalties or outrageous data charges overseas to my US carriers. Make sense?

That sounds pretty cool. Can you buy them anywhere in Europe for use within the continent or are they only available in the US?

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
That sounds pretty cool. Can you buy them anywhere in Europe for use within the continent or are they only available in the US?

My guess is it's country specific on contract or pay as you go. What's remarkable about the company I'm inquiring about is that it can be used in multiple European Countries on a short term rental basis. They even let you pick it up and drop it off at Hearhrow or you can have it delivered and returned by mail for a fee.

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
Just wanted to update this thread. I ended up renting a mifi from TEP and it was AWESOME! I had Internet in London, Paris and Switzerland. I highly reccomend them if you're heading to Europe and don't want to pay an arm and a leg for data.

The customer service was also top notch. My mifi didn't activate right away. They sent a bike messenger with another device to my hotel in London a few hours later. Luckily the first one started working (I think they activated it for the wrong date) so I ended up with a spare battery for the rest if the trip. Excellent company, excellent service.

cheesie

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2013
I'll be traveling to London, Paris and Lucerne, Switzerland :))) in September and am trying to figure out how to use my gadgets over there. I've got an AT&T iP4, a Verizon iP4 and a wifi only iPad 2. Rather than messing with unlocking the AT&T iPhone and relying on cafes and hotels for internet service, I was looking for some sort of European MiFi device that will work everywhere I travel. Does any have any experience or recommendations doing the same?

I found a company called Tep Wireless that appears to offer this service. Anybody use them before? Are there alternatives? The price isn't terrible, I'm just worried about service and would appreciate any personal experience. Thanks!!!

DO NOT USE their service.

My own very long and frustrating horrible experience with Tep Wireless is all documented in this blog post: http://cheeserland.com/2013/10/tep-wireless-the-worst-thing-ever/

To cut the long story short, the device hardly ever works, and once i made a complaint, they promised a refund, i waited and chased for FIVE MONTHS without ever seeing my money ever again.

They ignore you and just disappear.

A total fraud.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.