European power strips

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ibilly, Sep 3, 2006.

  1. ibilly macrumors regular

    May 2, 2003
    I'm going to be spending two semesters in sussex and I have a bunch of stuff that needs to be plugged in. Almost all of the things I'm bringing accept two voltages/frequencies, but I can't really get power to it. I have a few plug adapters, but I don't have enough for all my stuff. Radio shack sells big sets, and it's a little ridiculous to get an entire set (including the weird slanty New Zealand ones) for every little thing that needs electricity.

    Is there an brand of power strip that I could plug into the wall that wouldn't fry w/ the different power so I could actually use all of my stuff?

    Any other options/useful website I might want to know about?

    P.S. I'm in the US using out standard plugs
  2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus


    Jul 24, 2002
    I assume you mean Sussex in England. In that case you want a UK power strip not a European one: we have different plugs!

    What I've done in the past is to take a UK power strip with me and use a single adaptor on it. This works fine as the UK strip is built to handle 240V.

    Do all of your devices have none-removable cables to the plug? If not what sort of connections do they use. Apple gear, for example, uses a standard figure-8 connector so my advice would be (for Apple stuff at least): buy some UK figure-8 cables and use them. They are around £3 if you shop sensibly. Many chargers for digital camera batteries etc use the same...

Share This Page