European Regulators Concerned Apple's Proposed Shazam Acquisition Could Hurt Competitors Like Spotify

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 23, 2018.

1. cocky jeremy macrumors 601

cocky jeremy

If they deny it, Shazam should just sell to another US company, then Apple just buys that company.

2. dumastudetto macrumors 68040

This isn’t unique technology though. There are other apps that can do it, Google Assistant can do it, etc. There’s no reason to stop this deal or interfere with whatever Apple has planned.

3. SeattleMoose macrumors 68000

EU regulators? Well I guess the French did invent scuba diving...but this time they are diving a bit too deep.
    My advice to Apple...ignore the EU...they are an empire in decline.

4. mudflap macrumors 6502

mudflap

For the tech inside of it, the HomePod is actually quite inexpensive. And it might not be true stereo but it's not exactly mono, either.

5. chucker23n1 macrumors 68020

chucker23n1

That wouldn't change a thing, unless Apple wants to exit the European market. If Apple were to buy that other company, the EU would have a say.

6. KeanosMagicHat, Apr 23, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2018

KeanosMagicHat macrumors 65816

KeanosMagicHat

And in exercising that right, Apple is actually hampering HomePod sales (in my opinion).
    --- Post Merged, Apr 23, 2018 ---
    The complaint is that Spotify and other streaming services currently get referrals from Shazam which the EU regulators presume would stop if Apple were to buy the company.

7. t76turbo macrumors regular

Why does some eurotrash regulator have any say on 2 American companies doing business? I am sure they have some ability to regulate Apples products coming into their countries if they felt something was amiss... But why is the deal being held up?

The story said they have the power. 'delaying an Apple-Shazam merger for at least 90 days.'

8. KeanosMagicHat, Apr 23, 2018

KeanosMagicHat macrumors 65816

KeanosMagicHat

Money talks, so it will depend on how much Apple really wants Shazam.

If Apple are determined, I suspect this will end up with some sort of deal where the Apple owned Shazam continues to list other streaming services, but is allowed to prioritise Apple Music.

The ongoing data received by Shazam from hooks into these streaming competitors could prove a more complicated negotiation, however.

This is globalisation – it’s a global world with global customers for international businesses such as these, no matter where their headquarters are based.

9. wschutz macrumors 6502

An empire of more than 500 million people (compared to the 325 million people in the US). I wouldn't ignore such 'declining' empire ;)
    BTW, what do you base your statement on?
    In the EU the citizen (aka... the user/customer) is more important than the business (aka the profit).
    It is not that it is possible to do it with other applications, the EU wants to guarantee to all its citizens a fair share of options (aka competition). If there is a risk that a big player overtakes the smaller competition, which can't afford perhaps fighting against such giant, the EU will not let this happen.
    The state of welfare is a must in the EU, and that includes having a competitive market for everyone.

10. apolloa macrumors G5

Well this a clever manipulative piece of reporting by Mac Rumors... typically written in Apples favour ignoring all the facts...

The ACTUAL reason the purchase is being investigated is because it will give Apple access to Spotify’s and others commercially sensitive data. And understandably the competition commission isn’t happy with that.

http://news.sky.com/story/ec-to-investigate-apples-shazam-takeover-over-competition-concerns-11344191

The European Commission said it was concerned that the takeover could see rivals' music streaming services put at a competitive disadvantage to Apple Music.

This is because Apple would obtain commercially sensitive data about its rivals' customers by owning Shazam, according to the EC's initial findings.

11. dernhelm macrumors 68000

dernhelm

I decided to dive in a read the comments here to see if I anyone could shed light on the bizarre logic of this proposed blocking of this buyout. Any ruling preventing a merger would have to have some basis in actual fact, and prevent an actual undesirable situation. The initial quote didn't give any real information: It seemed to indicate that they're worried about lack of choice in music streaming services, but since Shazam doesn't stream music - Apple buying them doesn't reduce the actual number of streaming services. So that can't be it.

A quote further down said something about competitive data, and Apple could use it for nefarious purposes. Which I suppose is true, but wouldn't that be true of any streaming service that wanted to buy them? If this were a real concern, Shazam could not be bought by ANY streaming service because it has compiled too much user data, giving whoever bought them some kind of unfair advantage. I can't see that as a real thing. There would be too much counter-precedent, companies with data on other companies have been bought and sold for generations. Would this logic apply to patents as well? There would never be another merger in the EU ever again.

12. rom3o macrumors regular

Last time I checked Shazam was a British company.

13. ActionableMango macrumors G3

ActionableMango

To anyone still using Shazam...they were great in their time, but these days Soundhound is significantly better.

14. weckart macrumors 601

I found the opposite to be true. Shazam has improved as Soundhound has declined.

15. Wanted797 macrumors 6502a

Wanted797

Exactly. Trying to for Spotify in a HomePod is like trying to demand Apples Macs come with Windows!

Which funny enough they do all be it through other apps like VMWare. But Apple has no obligation to support it.

16. Abazigal, Apr 23, 2018

Abazigal macrumors G4

Abazigal

Shazam also has its own AR platform which is possibly one reason as to why Apple acquired it.

http://news.shazam.com/pressrelease...reality-solution-for-brands-worldwide-1842402

While simultaneously locking users into Apple Music and the iPhone.

Might be a worthwhile tradeoff for Apple.

17. bladerunner2000 macrumors 68020

bladerunner2000

And that's why its a failed product.

18. Tech198 macrumors G5

Looks like Apples got problem on it's hands.

You can't have everything.

19. Brandhouse macrumors 6502

It's called competition. Sounds like the EU are loosing the plot.

20. KeanosMagicHat macrumors 65816

KeanosMagicHat

I understand why they’ve done it, but I still think it’s questionable.

At the moment the only people that would buy HomePod are those that are fully bought into the Apple ecosystem.

Do you not think the market would widen significantly for the device were it able to stream from other providers?

Apple lately have been taking a bit of flak for the disappointing sales of HomePod thus far. They will need to decide whether they want to keep using it as a device for Apple Music subscribers only or whether they want to address these sales figures.

21. Mascots, Apr 23, 2018

Mascots macrumors 68000

Mascots

This investigation's only concern with the data Shazam has accrued is if Apple could attempt to abuse it to push people to switch to Apple Music. It has absolutely nothing to do with the general gaining of data from acquisition, data access hooks, or potential removal of analytics access from competitors.

This is primarily about potentially limiting referrals to other services because of Shazam's dominance in music identification - quite literally as surface level as it gets.

22. siddavis macrumors regular

No, this is just more centralized government control. They are sticking their noses where it doesn’t belong and convincing people it is for their own “protection”. Sad thing is, people subvert their own will and control willingly more and more.

23. ronntaylor macrumors regular

ronntaylor

WTF took them to so long in throwing out this roadblock? More than five months after Apple announced the acquisition? And there will be a delay of at least 90 days. If there was that much concern the EU should've voiced it sooner.

24. asiga macrumors 6502a

Somebody at Apple realized that storing the list of the music listened by users could bring money. It’s all “let’s milk the user” these days (and users agree to give their lives for free to Google, Apple, Facebook, or whatever corporate)

25. chucker23n1 macrumors 68020

chucker23n1

Acquisitions often take a year or two to pass antitrust regulatory checks. This is nothing unusual.