European rMB-owners: third party chargers

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by mgpg89, Jun 12, 2015.

1. mgpg89 macrumors 6502a

mgpg89

This is a call out to all my fellow rMB-owners in Europe.
    I'm looking for a (few) additional USB-C charger(s) and cable(s).
    Anyone got any suggestions where to pick one up for cheap?

Monoprice seems to have good deals, but the shipping rates to Europe hardly are.
    So any Europe-based suggestions?
    Or other online stores that offer cheap shipping?

Thanks in advance!

2. mgpg89 thread starter macrumors 6502a

mgpg89

3. tutux macrumors member

tutux

Also looking for a second charger and don't want to pay the apple price if possible

4. MyopicPaideia, Jun 15, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2015

MyopicPaideia macrumors 68000

MyopicPaideia

Your thread prompted me to look around again - think I found a pretty good contender here. Seems pretty good - all the ports are 5V at 2.5A so should be able to charge everything from the rMB to all the iDevices.

Local Swedish retailer carries them online for cheap shipping here. Check out the site amd see if the have local retailers or shipping to you!

EDIT: Shipping out of Germany if you order directly from their site - looks like €3-4 for shipping to most of Europe with 1-2 week delivery, so no biggie.

EDIT AGAIN: This model from the same company looks even more promising. If it had folding wall prongs, it would be perfect.

5. tutux macrumors member

tutux

Don't go for NON usb-C charger, 5V, event @2.5Amps is not enough to charge properly! Maybe as a "backup" but clearly don't buy for prime intention!

6. MyopicPaideia macrumors 68000

MyopicPaideia

Hmmm...they say they are USB 3.1 compatible, so I assuming that means able to fully take advantage of the standard's load capacity for the cable spec?

I don't claim to be an expert! What current is the Apple Charger delivering to the rMB? I forget, just reading in several places that the minimum to charge the rMB at all is 10W output, ie 5V at 2A - with it being obvious that this will be a much slower charge. Wish that Apple would have just put a USB-A port on the charger brick above the USB-C port. Would have been the ideal solution.

7. tutux macrumors member

tutux

USB 3.1 is the data standard, for POWER, you have a different parameter, and USB A does not allow more than 5V. Even @2.5amps it'll be 12.5W max.

I tried the 10W and with macbook closed, power nap activated, within 6 hours I got only 40% on the ipad charger... Can't play with that on a daily basis for sure! Try with your Ipad charger if you have one!

USB-C gives the ability to go to 14.5V @ 2 amps and it's much better for charging.

Considering the fact the 29W charger is not super fat, I'm waiting for a charger with 2 ports, one USBC and one USB A to be able to charge my macbook and my iphone with the same.

Another solution would be to buy a USB-C - Lightning cable.

8. mgpg89 thread starter macrumors 6502a

mgpg89

Yep, looking for a charger that'll charge my MacBook as fast as my stock Apple charger does.