European SIM fail

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by spotsphill, Jun 6, 2010.

1. spotsphill macrumors regular

I just got back from a trip to Europe where I had big plans to swap my AT&T SIM with a local carrier. I did the necessary (or at least I thought) prep-work: JB using blackra1n and unlock via blacksn0w (part of the blackra1n icon that came with the JB).

When I got to France and popped in the new SIM...nothing! I did everything that I could think of to try to get it to work (respring, restart, reset network settings, etc.)...nothing!

Is this enough information to determine whether or not I did something wrong, or whether or not I missed a step? A friend of mine who used redsn0w (downloaded through Cydia I think) says that he downloaded redsn0w and enabled it in his SBSettings, then powered down, popped the new SIM in, and booted up and it worked. Did I need to do something like this with blackra1n?

Sorry for the noob question. Hope someone can give me a quick response (although it'll suck if the answer is super simple). Thanks!

- Phill

2. spotsphill thread starter macrumors regular

Oh, I should note that I am currently running 3.1.2 with 05.12.01. I guess that could also be the problem :-\

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Your baseband is the problem. Your iPhone has been updated to official 3.1.3 and cannot be unlocked now.

4. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

It is. :) 05.12.01 cannot be unlocked at this time.

5. spotsphill thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the responses people. I guess as a quick follow up:

When my phone crashed a few months back and I had no choice but to upgrade to 3.1.3, I was able to restore back to 3.1.2 through Cydia's stored SHSH. The firmware stayed at 5.12.01. Is there a way to roll that back like I did with 3.1.2?

6. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

Depends, do you have a 3G or 3GS. If it's a 3GS, quick answer is no. But there's a slight possibility you can downgrade an older manufactured iPhone 3G but unfortunately I wouldn't get my hopes up.

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Nope.
    The baseband on a 3GS cannot be downgraded once updated.