European store needed for SSD purchase [15.4" Retina]

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by eurobum, Jul 7, 2015.

1. eurobum macrumors member

Hello all.

I need a 256 GB SSD for my 15.4" MBP Retina (A1398) from late 2014. I'm in Denmark and am therefore reluctant to buy from the US due to customs charges and delivery time.

• Can anyone recommend a shop within the EU for me?
    • Also, what are the exact specifications of a compatible SSD so I can search for the item myself? I'm not the biggest hardware connoisseur, so I've been limited to searching "ssd 256 a1398" which is ideal for eBay and such but when browsing shops' SSD collection I have no way of knowing if they are compatible with this MBP
    Thanks.

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

There isn't one you can only get one pulled from another mac. To this end ebay is just about the only option and because there are no third party options they are expensive.

3. eurobum thread starter macrumors member

I see. That makes sense.

What if I get an adapter from eBay, would I then be able to put in a 'normal' SSD drive? If so what kind? Is it not recommendable to use an adapter? I would be OK buying a legit Apple one from eBay, but I'm not too happy with it being pulled/used if adapter + new standard SSD is also a viable option.

Thanks for the info!

4. Samuelsan2001, Jul 7, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2015

Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

As far as I know there isn't one.....

The one you linked only works with the 2012 and early 2013 rMBP's, anything late 2013 onwards has a proprietry connector.

5. yjchua95 macrumors 604

There are no adapters available.

Also, the only places these SSDs come from are:
    1. Apple SSDs pulled off other Macs
    2. Apple SSDs that were pilfered off the Samsung production line.