Europeans and memory

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by TFT, Feb 25, 2008.

1. TFT macrumors member

So where is everybody getting their memory?

I have been enjoying my new MP/8800 with the standard 2Gb (no problems apartf rom few OSX glitches), but I am looking at one of these options

- OWC shipped via a friend in US
    - Musicstore.de ... but no clue on how reliable this is
    - http://www.thomann.de/
    - http://interngeheugen.com/

Any comment on which way is most reliable and less hassle in case of faulty modules?

Cheers

tft

2. Heliconsoul macrumors member

I can't comment on faulty modules, but I ordered 2GB from OWC in the US and the service was great. Cost about £110 (including the Fedex VAT bill) and I received the modules about 4 days after ordering.

3. Matek macrumors 6502a

Don't worry about it too much, just buy it from anyone that has 800 MHz DDR2 fully-buffered ECC memory available and has decent prices. Since this type of memory is usually in more professional systems, I doubt you'll have problems with getting a replacement if it causes any problems.

Ordering from USA seems too much, check Geizhals out.

4. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

It's not just a case of the memory being up to spec, they should also be proper Apple compatibles because you need the big heat spreaders.

5. Gonk42 macrumors 6502

Do make sure that the modules have Apple approved heat spreaders on them. Modules designed for servers with high speed fans will probably get too hot in the Mac Pro.

edit : - sorry for the duplicate comment the one above appeared whilst I was writing mine! :)

6. TFT thread starter macrumors member

The ones I have indicated provide Apple memory with proper heat sinks.

If it was not for the concern of the issues with returning, I would go with OWC since I could get a friend send them over registered as present or bring them over here in a few weeks form there (so no taxes).

Musicstore prices seems nice, but no clue if they are reliable.

7. WoOdPiPeS macrumors member

I bought in MusicStore. No problems by the moment (it's guaranteed anyway).It passed all Apple Hardware Tests...
    The ram i've got from them is Hynix (like the one wich came in my MP)

WP

8. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

http://crucial.com/eu/

Sells Micron memory, which is some of the best, and are the only company to guarantee compatibility (if you go through their memory chooser.)

There are rumours they still use dynamic pricing (they lost a court case over this in the past and have said they won't do it any more) but I'm not convinced.

I always buy through them at work.

Crucial's prices go up and down all the time, and *sometimes* are the best on the market. More usually, they're a bit more expensive.

For personal use, I wait till prices at crucial drop to a low, and then buy.

9. TFT thread starter macrumors member

Given the prices from Crucial, I would rather go to Apple than them :D

Too high. Even kingston and trascend (not yet available) are lower (126 and 119 a 2gb module).

10. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

Yes, Crucial is very expensive at the moment.

I don't know about their Euro pricing, but in the UK, they currently charge £73 for 4GB for a macbook.

4 weeks ago, I bought exactly the same 4GB of macbook ram from them for about £54 (inc delivery) :)

11. TFT thread starter macrumors member

something like 450 euros for 2x2gb .... everywhere else this is like 4x2b or even 5x2gb.

12. darkpaw macrumors 6502

darkpaw

After some initial issues with OWC not bothering to sell me the product I'd ordered, my 8GB (4x2GB) arrived today and it's in right now. I've not checked it with the Apple Hardware tests but will do that later.

It was $459 inc. shipping. I'll get an import tax bill later on, but it will still be less than £300 for 8GB, which is less than half the price Crucial are charging.

[​IMG]

13. shiny-blanket macrumors member

darkpaw, have you left the original ram in? Don't think there is much gain in doing-so, why not flog it?

14. darkpaw macrumors 6502

darkpaw

Yes, it's still in there. My work requires more RAM than speed, so I'd rather leave it in there. I'll sell it when I can afford 4 more sticks of RAM to give me 16GB :)