Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sozkan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2006
I found information on the web that VERIZON started to offer a program to use your phone as a Broadband modem.

I called verizon but their reps don’t know anything.

than I deiced to go to a store but no luck they did not know too called the technical support they told me that they do have a package that I can add to use my phone as a broadband phone.

I went back to the store port my phone number to VERIZON got the V3 and a usb cable to be able to connect to my macbook.

Signed up to 59.99 broadband access program
http://estore.vzwshop.com/overview/w...accessconnect/

and TAHT is IT

WORKS LIKE a CHARM

No software required

Plug in your USB cable

Get in to network preferences os x will tel you you have a new port available pick V3c

PPP

Service Pr. anything you like
Account name xxxxxxxxxxx@vzw3g.com
Password vzw
Telephone #777

Modem

Verizon Support (PC 5220)

Uncheck wait for dial tone

Show modem status in menu bar

Apply

Now close everything and on the menu bar click the phone icon and connect

VALA you got the broadband speed I can not believe no one knows this I am so frustrated I am no computer genius people here must know better

portent

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2004
Good to know.

Pity it only works through USB. There's no (technical) reason why you couldn't use Bluetooth, except that Verizon does not include that capability.

NightStorm

macrumors 68000
Jan 26, 2006
Whitehouse, OH
I do the same thing, but tether mine via bluetooth. It might only be available on an earlier firmware version though, I think VZW crippled the BT functionality in a later update to the V3C.

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
I was using my T68i as a Bluetooth modem on AT&T 2 years ago. AND all I had to pay for was data. Same goes for Cingular now, it's just a little harder to connect. $10/mo for the data (although I should probably up it to unlimited for 24)

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Counterfit said:
I was using my T68i as a Bluetooth modem on AT&T 2 years ago. AND all I had to pay for was data. Same goes for Cingular now, it's just a little harder to connect. $10/mo for the data (although I should probably up it to unlimited for 24)

EDGE doesn't support as much throughput, from what I've seen. Shouldn't you have been using a USB cable all this time? Bluetooth 1.x isn't all that fast, either.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.