Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hokiepokie07

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 20, 2009
What am I doing wrong? I'm trying to have my bathroom lights dim if someone enters the master bath in the middle of the night. The during the day rule works fine, but the lights don't cut on after 10:30. My eve motion shows motion too. Thanks!

Basically, I want my Caseta switch to turn on my bathroom lights to 20% if Eve Motion signals motion. It works fine during the day when I have them set to turn on 100%.

IMG_0306.PNG IMG_0307.PNG

adamsteinberg

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2016
San Francisco, CA
Hi there,

This is probably a problem with time conditions and the limitations of HomeKit. HomeKit's day begins at 00:00 and ends at 23:59, and any time condition cannot cross the day boundary. So you will need two scenes (lights at 20%/100%) and three rules!

Example:

You want the lights go on with 100% from 7 AM until 10 PM. That's easy: If Motion detected (trigger) - after 7 am (time condition 1) AND before 10 pm (time condition 2) - scene lights 100%

The following rule won't work:
If Motion detected (trigger) - after 10 pm (time condition 1) AND before 7 am (time condition 2) - scene lights 20%

This rule will never trigger, because both time conditions have to be fulfilled in the same calendar day. There is no valid HomeKit time of day that is after 10 PM AND before 7 AM - this is a HomeKit bug/limitation. The workaround is to create two rules:

Rule 1: If Motion detected (trigger) - after 10 PM (time condition 1) AND before 11:59 AM (time condition 2) - scene lights 20%
-> This one will work between 10 pm and midnight

Rule 2: If Motion detected (trigger) - after 00:00 (time condition 1) AND before 7 AM (time condition 2) - scene lights 20%
-> This one will work between midnight and 7 AM

Hope this helps!

Adam

hokiepokie07

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 20, 2009
Hi there,

This is probably a problem with time conditions and the limitations of HomeKit. HomeKit's day begins at 00:00 and ends at 23:59, and any time condition cannot cross the day boundary. So you will need two scenes (lights at 20%/100%) and three rules!

Example:

You want the lights go on with 100% from 7 AM until 10 PM. That's easy: If Motion detected (trigger) - after 7 am (time condition 1) AND before 10 pm (time condition 2) - scene lights 100%

The following rule won't work:
If Motion detected (trigger) - after 10 pm (time condition 1) AND before 7 am (time condition 2) - scene lights 20%

This rule will never trigger, because both time conditions have to be fulfilled in the same calendar day. There is no valid HomeKit time of day that is after 10 PM AND before 7 AM - this is a HomeKit bug/limitation. The workaround is to create two rules:

Rule 1: If Motion detected (trigger) - after 10 PM (time condition 1) AND before 11:59 AM (time condition 2) - scene lights 20%
-> This one will work between 10 pm and midnight

Rule 2: If Motion detected (trigger) - after 00:00 (time condition 1) AND before 7 AM (time condition 2) - scene lights 20%
-> This one will work between midnight and 7 AM

Hope this helps!

Adam

Thank you so much for the detailed response! I was not aware of the issue, but I just created the three rules like you said.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.