Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

szark

macrumors 68030
May 14, 2002
Arid-Zone-A
Just a reminder that it's Intel-only:

Macintosh:

Minimal system requirements

* Intel based computer with CPU speed equal or greater than 1.8GHz , the client does not run on a PowerPC (G3/G4/G5) based Macintoshes (PowerMac). .
* Video: ATI X1600 or NVidia 7300 GT or higher with 128 MB of Video RAM
* RAM: 1024 MB or more
* HD space: 6 GB
* Network: 56k or better Internet connection

Recommended system configuration

* Intel based CPU 2GHz or better
* Video: ATI X1900 or Nvidia 7600
* RAM: 1GB
* HD space: 6 Gb or more
* Network: Broadband Internet connection

I'd love to try this out at some point, when I'm actually able to buy an Intel-based Mac. :(

valiar

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2006
Washington, DC
Will anybody who plays this game please comment? I'm interested, but it sounds pretty cutthroat...

I play EVE... And it is truly awesome.
It is not as "cutthroat" as it used to be in the years gone by (for example, you no longer are at risk of losing all your skills if you do get killed - you only lose at most a few weeks). However, losses do hit you harder than losses in other games (such as WoW).
It is also worth noting that things like theft and scams (within limits) are permitted in EVE. Some people fume at this when they end up on the wrong end... Personally, I enjoy this "rogue" aspect of the game.
The game is also very immersive, and has wonderful graphics.
As for negatives... One of the main is rampant ISK RMT. Population of Chinese farmers has increased immensely over the past year, and they are becoming really annoying (especially for some in-game professions, like trade). There is not much inflation just yet, but there are certainly plenty of people with farmed and purchased ISK in their wallets. CCP is trying to handle the problem, but it is understandably hard.

Even with all the negatives, EVE is a great game. It is also one of the very few MMO games you can play for free (you can pay for your game time with ISK - you need a lot of ISK, of course, but I have not paid a cent for playing EVE during the last year).

voyagerd

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2002
Rancho Cordova, CA
I've been playing the game for almost a year. I only get to play it when I'm at home or at a friend's place since I don't have an Intel Mac at school. I have my friend train skills for me in the meantime. Too bad that it still can't run on PPC Macs. I guess I'm stuck with playing it once a month.

kurzz

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2007
Even with all the negatives, EVE is a great game. It is also one of the very few MMO games you can play for free (you can pay for your game time with ISK - you need a lot of ISK, of course, but I have not paid a cent for playing EVE during the last year).

How do you pay the subscription with ISK? If you mean by ebaying or selling your ISK online, how is that any better than farming?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.