Eve Launches New 'Eve Extend' Bluetooth Range Extender

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Eve Systems, known for its range of HomeKit-enabled products, today highlighted four new devices that are coming out later this year, some of which will be available in the United States and some limited to Europe.

Eve Extend, a Bluetooth range extender designed for the Bluetooth-equipped Eve devices, is launching today. It's designed to connect to your Bluetooth Eve accessories to make them available across your WiFi network.

Eve Extend is able to connect to either a 2.4GHz or 5GHz WiFi network, and it can work with up to eight Eve accessories. More than one Eve Extend can be paired up to expand the reach of Eve products to all corners of the home. Eve Extend can be ordered from the Eve website for $50 starting today.

A European version of the Eve Light Switch, which replaces a traditional light switch and adds HomeKit connectivity, is launching in Germany, Austria, Belgium, Luxembourg, and the Netherlands this fall. Eve Light Switch is priced at 99.95 euros and will be available on October 1.

Eve is debuting a new version of the Eve Thermo smart radiator valve, which features a clearer display, better touch controls with feedback, and a quieter motor. Eve Thermo will be available for 70 euros starting on September 16.

Eve is also working on the Eve Water Guard, a device that's designed to detect moisture and send alerts so you can address a leak as soon as it happens. Eve Water Guard comes with a 4.3 foot water sensing cable that extends its detection range beyond other HomeKit water detectors on the market.

Eve says that the Eve Water Guard will be launching in January 2020, with pricing and availability to be announced at a later date.

Article Link: Eve Launches New 'Eve Extend' Bluetooth Range Extender

Aston441

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2014
Too bad the extender only works with Eve devices. Perhaps it's the limitation of Bluetooth technology but it would be awesome if someone can leverage Bluetooth mesh networking feature to extend all Bluetooth devices somehow.

This.

I was hoping my EarPods and aWatch would finally work across the house.

Whoever can make a mesh Bluetooth extender will make $millons.

ceriess

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2003
Sounds like Bluetooth is a loser for home automation. Why didn't they just make their stuff wifi to begin with?

x34

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2014
Sounds like Bluetooth is a loser for home automation. Why didn't they just make their stuff wifi to begin with?
i just love my eve homekit products, they just work without a single problem. much better than that aqara (some sort of zigbee) crap which has a horrible firmware policy. it works even better with the extender? great for houses etc.

bluetooth is very power efficent that's a huge advantage.

konqerror

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2013
Wi-Fi is a lot more complicated requiring more expensive chips, requires a lot more CPU power because you have a full IP stack, requires a lot more compatibility testing for stuff like routers with crappy DHCP servers, has a greater attack surface for security vulnerabilities especially since it can potentially be exposed to the Internet, and has more expensive patent licensing fees.

Zigbee is a true mesh where every node can act as a repeater, runs at a lower frequency that travels further and has less interference, but nothing common has Zigbee hardware, so you got to have a separate hub, like Hue.

maxxodd

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2012
Too bad the extender only works with Eve devices. Perhaps it's the limitation of Bluetooth technology but it would be awesome if someone can leverage Bluetooth mesh networking feature to extend all Bluetooth devices somehow.
Agree. I like my August smart locks, but some of them are on the periphery of my house and needing an iPad (or Apple TV) sitting next to it just so I can control it with homekit (Siri) is a little ridiculous. Apple really needs to have some kind of range extender that is small and unobtrusive.

nutmac

macrumors 601
Mar 30, 2004
This.

I was hoping my EarPods and aWatch would finally work across the house.

Whoever can make a mesh Bluetooth extender will make $millons.
I think Eero (maker of mesh Wi-Fi router) dabbled on this and it supposedly works in their lab. Whether they would bring the feature or not remains to be seen.

maxxodd

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2012
I think Eero (maker of mesh Wi-Fi router) dabbled on this and it supposedly works in their lab. Whether they would bring the feature or not remains to be seen.
Maybe, but since Amazon owns Eero now, I'd be a little dubious about this ever seeing the light of day.

intz2nu

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2012
Wait... there's such a thing as a washer that's so small you can only fit like, a sock in it?
Yeah when I seen this I too wanted and still do wanna know more about that mini washer. I hope and wish someone here will chime in on where I could get more info on it.

Reactions: H3LL5P4WN

justperry

macrumors G4
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.

Eve Extend is able to connect to either a 2.4GHz or 5GHz WiFi network, and it can work
with up to eight Eve accessories.

A European version of the Eve Light Switch, which replaces a traditional light switch and adds HomeKit connectivity, is launching in Germany, Austria, Belgium, Luxembourg, and the Netherlands this fall. Eve Light Switch is priced at 99.95 euros and will be available on October 1.

Eve is debuting a new version of the Eve Thermo smart radiator valve, which features a clearer display, better touch controls with feedback, and a quieter motor. Eve Thermo will be available for 70 euros starting on September 16.​

8 Devices only, double that I would say, it's fairly limited this way.

Wow, €88 for a Homekit switch, there are far better and cheaper ways, even branded ones.

Next is the €70 for a Eve Thermo, again, there are cheaper branded ones, €45-€50 would be the Max. price for these.​

Wait... there's such a thing as a washer that's so small you can only fit like, a sock in it?
I don’t think I could fit a pair of jeans in it.
I had to look twice, they are tiny, never saw these ones, seems like there's a mini dryer on the right as we'll, maybe for use in those tiny Tokyo Apartments.;)

H3LL5P4WN

macrumors 68020
Jun 19, 2010
Pittsburgh PA
I had to look twice, they are tiny, never saw these ones, seems like there's a mini dryer on the right as we'll, maybe for use in those tiny Tokyo Apartments.;)
But they're not even practical. Seriously, look at the towels next to them. Does that sardine can town expect people to wash one article of clothing at a time?

H3LL5P4WN

macrumors 68020
Jun 19, 2010
Pittsburgh PA
"Surprisingly Spacious Load - With a large wash capacity,the SUPER DEAL Compact Automatic Washer Second Generation can wash around 4 adult items of clothing, and 5 couples of socks or 2 XXL pairs of jeans in one go. "

So... I'd be spending at least an entire day doing laundry to have covered the week, if not more.

Pupi

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2015
100 euro for ONE light switch. WOW. And Philips is supposed to be pricey, yet you 4-button switches from them at 20 euro. God damn.

Because WiFi is a power hog, and Bluetooth has extremely low power usage modes available.
I don't see any battery issues with zigbee products, and they usually have better range and response.

i just love my eve homekit products, they just work without a single problem. much better than that aqara (some sort of zigbee) crap which has a horrible firmware policy. it works even better with the extender? great for houses etc.

bluetooth is very power efficent that's a huge advantage.
I have 2 Eve Energy, and for the pricey they have let me down once in a while, sometimes they stop responding to on/off commands (usually sorted after I unplug them for a while) and they are in general more laggy especially the first command as I assume bluetooth connection is being sorted.

nutmac

macrumors 601
Mar 30, 2004
Maybe, but since Amazon owns Eero now, I'd be a little dubious about this ever seeing the light of day.
With Eero being one of few vendors to implement HomeKit compatibility, I wouldn't rule it out. Eero has little used Thread support that could in theory be repurposed for Bluetooth mesh network.

maxxodd

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2012
With Eero being one of few vendors to implement HomeKit compatibility, I wouldn't rule it out. Eero has little used Thread support that could in theory be repurposed for Bluetooth mesh network.
I'd love it if you were right. I have 7 eeros in bridge mode to cover my house. I don't like their lack of VPN support (VanishIP is not a real router based implementation), so I don't use them for the base router purposes.

kingpushup

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2013
Would this now let me use the Eve in-wall light dimmer switch? My wall lacks a neutral wire :/

maxxodd

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2012
Would this now let me use the Eve in-wall light dimmer switch? My wall lacks a neutral wire :/
You probably already know this, but Lutron is great for places that don't have the neutral wire and you want a smart switch. Lutron isn't perfect for some of the same reasons (can only use 1 repeater and the switches themselves do not act as repeaters), but they do offer a pretty good product (and the Sonos control is better than most other systems albeit still limited).

Reactions: kingpushup

Rookie42

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2017
Surrey, UK
"Surprisingly Spacious Load - With a large wash capacity,the SUPER DEAL Compact Automatic Washer Second Generation can wash around 4 adult items of clothing, and 5 couples of socks or 2 XXL pairs of jeans in one go. "

So... I'd be spending at least an entire day doing laundry to have covered the week, if not more.
Interesting observations about the washing machine by various people on this thread... and the one in this link is significantly smaller.

I believe those who have commented are from the US, where I believe washing machines are pretty big appliances.

The one pictured looks about normal size to me. Should be approx 2'9" high, 2' wide and 2' deep (give or take). This fits under a standard kitchen work top, as many UK homes have the washing machine in the kitchen, rather than a separate utility or washing room - this is because we have a lot less land mass than the US, and land is expensive, so houses are generally small by US standards. Obviously not all houses - but for much of the population this is the case.

These machines can wash approx. 7kg of clothes / towels / linens... roughly 15lbs. Some machines do less, some more. Some are even washer/driers combined, to save space.

You also have to remember that the UK weather is what the UK weather is... which means that drying clothes (unless you're just putting everything in a dryer) means hanging it indoors somewhere... and again, space is limited.

So... if you want a machine like this - you could probably find one in the UK or EU markets... but it'll need ~230V AC to run, so I'm afraid you may find it impossible to use on US power systems.

Hope this has been interesting for those of you amused by the little washing machine in the picture. :)
[doublepost=1567777340][/doublepost]
100 euro for ONE light switch. WOW. And Philips is supposed to be pricey, yet you 4-button switches from them at 20 euro. God damn.

I don't see any battery issues with zigbee products, and they usually have better range and response.

I have 2 Eve Energy, and for the pricey they have let me down once in a while, sometimes they stop responding to on/off commands (usually sorted after I unplug them for a while) and they are in general more laggy especially the first command as I assume bluetooth connection is being sorted.
Yeah - 100 euros does seem expensive... but it'll support ANY light bulbs. So... if you use it to control a light fitting with, say, 5 bulbs... you could spend 3 euros per bulb (15 euros) and 100 euros on the switch (115 euros). To use Philips Hue (which is awesome, and I love it - have some - but expensive, I fully agree)... it would cost you a minimum of 30 euros per bulb (150 euros) and the 20 euros for the switch (170 euros) - so... somewhat more expensive.

Obviously, the maths doesn't add up if you're using it to control a single bulb, so don't bother... but if you have a fitting or two with 3 or more bulbs, then it's potentially worthwhile. Especially when you consider you probably already have bulbs in the fitting anyway! It also means that when the bulb dies (OK, LED could last tp to 10 years, but still)... you can replace the bulbs themselves very cheaply... always assuming you actually want to continue to use the thing, but by then we'll probably have other alternatives anyway! :)

Reactions: H3LL5P4WN

H3LL5P4WN

macrumors 68020
Jun 19, 2010
Pittsburgh PA
Interesting observations about the washing machine by various people on this thread... and the one in this link is significantly smaller.

I believe those who have commented are from the US, where I believe washing machines are pretty big appliances.

The one pictured looks about normal size to me. Should be approx 2'9" high, 2' wide and 2' deep (give or take). This fits under a standard kitchen work top, as many UK homes have the washing machine in the kitchen, rather than a separate utility or washing room - this is because we have a lot less land mass than the US, and land is expensive, so houses are generally small by US standards. Obviously not all houses - but for much of the population this is the case.

These machines can wash approx. 7kg of clothes / towels / linens... roughly 15lbs. Some machines do less, some more. Some are even washer/driers combined, to save space.

You also have to remember that the UK weather is what the UK weather is... which means that drying clothes (unless you're just putting everything in a dryer) means hanging it indoors somewhere... and again, space is limited.

So... if you want a machine like this - you could probably find one in the UK or EU markets... but it'll need ~230V AC to run, so I'm afraid you may find it impossible to use on US power systems.

Hope this has been interesting for those of you amused by the little washing machine in the picture. :)
Thanks, I actually really appreciate that.

Correct, I am from the States so seeing a machine that small, to me, just doesn't seem practical. Generally speaking, I do a single load of laundry once a week. That's all my clothes plus towels, wash clothes, hand towels, etc. (the majority of my clothing is dark so I can get away with washing them all together). I also dry my clothes.

So while I've never actually weighed my laundry, just visualizing it in my hamper, I don't think it'd fit in a 2x2x2 washer or dryer.