EVE Online - Logout Issue

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by Hankster, Feb 6, 2008.

1. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

Did a quick search and didn't find an answer. I just started up EVE again on my Mac but I cannot press "esc" without the game closing on me immediately.

Anyone else have this issue?

2. bentleyag macrumors newbie

3. soms macrumors 6502

soms

I tried it out the other day and had no problems running it windowed or exiting out of it.

4. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

I had enough intermittent problems with running EVE in OS X that I now do nearly all of my EVE playing in Windows via Boot Camp. Transgaming's Cider framework really isn't an adequate replacement for native ports of games. It's disappointing to see more and more titles released in this manner. The only time I launch EVE in OS X is to kick off a skill training.

EDIT: Plus, you can only get the Premium graphics content in Windows, and the game looks so much better that way.

5. Echinda macrumors regular

I've tried the Mac client numerous times and it just isn't stable. I get maybe 40-50 minutes of game play per crash. One thing I've noticed is that if something (like hitting the esc key, I guess) causes a crash, that action will continue to cause a crash until you do a full reboot of your machine. It seems like Eve's bugs are like unwanted guests, once they unpack their bags nothing short of kicking everyone out of the house will get rid of them.

Using Vista on Bootcamp though, it runs sweet. Definitely not a hardware issue.

6. Senor360 macrumors regular

Senor360

Premium graphics content?

I'm running it in OS X, and it displays the recently revamped graphics for all ships / stations. What content are you referring to? :confused:

I haven't had any crashes, or issues with hitting ESC to bring up the settings/logout screen.

7. Echinda macrumors regular

The premium graphics content has more eye-candy like cooler bloom effects from your engines, transparent parts on ships, extra fiddly bits on ships (i.e struts and antennae etc.), extra animation for various ship events (i.e. mining lasers, missles etc.). Basically a bunch of small stuff that is "nice to have" not "need to have".

8. WilWheaton macrumors member

I have no idea what the OSX status is (i've heard its pretty bad) for eve, as I only have a g4 equipped mac, but on linux wine is kicking all sorts of ass for running eve, and can even do the premium client pretty well. Prehaps theres a good port of wine for OSX?

9. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

WINE relies on the platform in question running on Intel. It's not an emulator.

10. WilWheaton macrumors member

err, I never said it was? :confused:

The official client is also a cedega wrapper, built off of the same, but older technology. If you look at the mac eve cilent you'll realize it its intel-mac only as well

11. Echinda macrumors regular

There is a version of WINE for Darwin available here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/darwine

I've never used it, but if some enterprising soul has a macintel that they are running the Windows EVE client through WINE on, do tell.

(and yeah - WW didn't say WINE was an emulator. If he had, he would have been ignoring one of the greatest recursive names ever - which if he is the real WW, he would never do.)

12. Senor360 macrumors regular

Senor360

Hmm..

I might have to install the Windoze version to check out this premium content then. :)