iPad Even Apple is bored with iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by AdonisSMU, Oct 17, 2014.

1. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

Hmmmm did anyone else get the sense that Apple is bored with the iPad? Apple seemed more excited to show off a device that people only wear when they are showing off to their friends at the club.

2. TheDeviceUser macrumors 6502a

No, not at all. In fact, they seemed more excited about iPad than they have since iPad 3. If they were bored, why would they make it 6.1mm thin, or create a whole new chipset in A8X and not just stick an A8 inside. I'm personally more excited about this iPad than I have been since the iPad 2.

3. palmerc2 macrumors 68000

palmerc2

The Air? No. The Mini? Yes.

You might also be swayed by the unbelievably boring presentation by Phil. I got drowsy just listening to the guy!

4. Breaking Good macrumors 6502a

Yes, I agree with you, OP.

It seems like they are only interested in selling iPhones and Apple Watches and hold every other product in disdain.

It appears that hubris has set in at Apple.

5. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

I don't see why anyone thinks this. It's a pretty established product and at this stage there aren't gojng to be any super wow moments at these events. Some new features, some hardware updates, and a presentation to explain them. Not sure what they were supposed to do?

They certainly do care about the ipad, they've sold almost a 1/4 billion of them since the project launch. ;)

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Well they didn't dedicate the media event for the iPad but only gave it a portion.

I wouldn't say bored but I was surprised they gave an iOS/OSX demo again. They virtually repeated the WWDC keynote and thought that was quite unnecessary. It seemed more like fluff to fill the time.

7. SandboxGeneral Moderator emeritus

SandboxGeneral

Yeah, it was quite boring to me during the iOS/OS X review portion. Then they gave about 20 seconds to tell us about the disappointing iPad Mini 3.

On the plus side, at least the streaming video worked this time. :p

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I was surprised the small amount of time they dedicated to the iPad portion. I wonder if the iPad is at a point where there's not much else you can add to the iPad. The iPhone is the same way, but the big with that is, the plus and the screen resolution. Take that away and there's not a lot of changes to the iPhone between the 5s and the 6.

Back the iPad, there's not much else they're adding other then a thinner surprise (no surprise there). What I am surprised about is the lack of a LED flash for the camera. That would be an easy and welcome addition.

As for the streaming, yes it went off w/o a hitch and I'm happy about that.

I had it playing in the background while I worked and it streamed error free.

9. SandboxGeneral Moderator emeritus

SandboxGeneral

I have to wonder if they're at a plateau with the iDevices. Like you said, there really isn't much more they can do with them. I suppose they could always find a way to drastically improve battery life somehow and add little features here and there.

10. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

No, it was just a horribly executed press event. Cook was bumbling though the first few minutes even. They went on way too long about old ground which did bore the hell out of everyone to the point all the energy was sucked out of the room by the time the iPads came around. Plus the are not exuberant, engaging salesmen like... sorry, I must say it... Jobs.

But it looks like Apple put a decent about of time and thought into the iPad 3. It's not a "phone it in" upgrade. The iPad mini 3, however is a different story.

The watch is exciting and new, so that's probably why you saw that reflected. I can't wait myself. Info literally at your hands IS very cool and *grown* handy.

11. cycledance Suspended

totally agree. nothing against phil, he also looked shockingly good. but i wish they would have just skipped his part.

12. Hey Jude macrumors 6502a

Hey Jude

Yeah, nice to see that he lost a bit of weight, and he is also shockingly boring :).

13. SandboxGeneral Moderator emeritus

SandboxGeneral

Didn't a family member of Phil recently pass away? Maybe that would explain his lack of exuberance.

14. swordfish5736 macrumors 68000

swordfish5736

Not the first time they've done it. WWDC is a developer conference, the event yesterday was for the public.

15. macduke macrumors G3

macduke

Yeah Phil just seems tired or something. I can't quite put my finger on it. I wouldn't be at all surprised if he retires in the next 1-3 years.

16. rwilliams macrumors 68040

rwilliams

If there's a hardware plateau for the iPad, then it's time to do something different with the software. People have been asking for split screen, multiple user accounts (and several other features that escape my memory right now) that would make it more of a productivity device.

17. AdonisSMU thread starter macrumors 603

The point is that isn't not for other people to use. I personally don't like the idea of multi user on an iPad/iPhone. I do think it can be useful on a Mac.

18. DoofenshmirtzEI macrumors 6502a

DoofenshmirtzEI

Very useful for families that would like to share one.

19. rwilliams macrumors 68040

rwilliams

That's great, if you've got the money for multiple iPads in one household. Many people don't. It's very shortsighted on Apple's part.

20. AdonisSMU thread starter macrumors 603

Is it?

21. rwilliams macrumors 68040

rwilliams

Well, if Apple's only goal is to make money, then no, it's not. They can keep things as they are and hope that people are willing to buy individual iPads for everyone in their home (ha!).

If they truly give a damn about the experience, families would love to have separate user accounts so that kids don't accidentally erase data, lock everyone out of the device, etc.

22. palmerc2 macrumors 68000

palmerc2

He never really was the best public speaker or full of zeal. But if before he was Phil at 100%, this was Phil at 0%.

Either he......just got over a cold, disengaged, low sleep, or just lost his passion. Which personally, don't see how that could happen working for Apple. I can honestly say Apple is one company I wouldn't mind working for.

23. macduke macrumors G3

macduke

I'm of the belief that if you do anything for too long you get bored of it, but that might just be me. It took me forever to get through college because I kept changing my mind. I ended up with 180 credit hours. Right now I'm a web, app and print designer who does occasional photography, but I'm considering getting a degree in meteorology. I met with the atmospheric science department chair and some of his colleagues because I was working with a writer on campus to develop an illustration for an abstract weather phenomenon. I've always been a weather nerd, so they were impressed with my knowledge and said I should come join the program. I get 75% off tuition since I work at the University so my thinking is why not? I'd also like to become an industrial engineer someday. If I were Phil I probably wouldn't have stayed around long enough to become rich, lol. He has to be getting bored by now—but in his field, what can top Apple? When I looked at his short biography on Wikipedia, it seems like he has held a lot of positions prior to Apple, such as VP of Macromedia, and even some senior jobs at hospitals and stuff like that. Maybe he just needs a break? I've heard working in management at Apple is extremely really demanding. Maybe a sabbatical is in order. It's probably a good idea for all big companies to let execs have sabbaticals. It probably injects new life and thought into everything they do, and lets lower execs take a step into the bigger roles to get some experience for when their boss eventually retires.

24. palmerc2 macrumors 68000

palmerc2

That's a pretty well rounded response, sounds like you jump around a lot, and need to move on from one thing to another quickly. That's a good trait, you lose interest and want the next thing. But in Phil's case I couldn't imagine losing passion for Apple, I really appreciate the company and most of their products. I mean, I visit this site all the time for the latest rumors and news...really the only other kind of site I do that for is cars. For Phil, maybe you're right, he's just lost interest and is bored.

I can't really put myself in Phil's or your position....I dropped out of college after 1 semester to pursue entrepreneurship, I'm not a college or company type of person.

25. coolfilmaker macrumors member

I think it's because the iPad Pro will be coming out soon.