Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kits

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2009
In fact, going for the full retail price now without a contract extension actually makes more sense, as it allows me to upgrade next year at the full discounted price, when the new iPhone with even better hardware is released.

And that may be the best strategy, ebay the old one every year, and average out over two years the subsidized discount. Between that and what I get by selling it, I'm most likely nearly breaking even, not to mention the sheer enjoyment of using this wonderful platform.

Very true. I think most of us in US are spoiled by carrier discounts. I bought my iPhone from ebay at higher price than what I could have paid to AT&T because I didn't want to get stuck with a $30 data-plan for 2-years. Now, I pay $30 data-plan only as long as I use iPhone. I am going to try Nokia N97 from next month and I will get my data-plan changed to $15 unlimited. If the Nokia sucks, I am back to iPhone but never at discounted price from AT&T as I hate to be stuck with $30 data-plan.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
There is no way I am going to pay $600-$700 for a cellphone. I will wait until I can get the subsidized price.

beamer8912

macrumors 65816
May 30, 2009
*SIGH*

Do I really need to pick this apart? I'd wish a lot of people keep their opinions to themselves, instead of spreading bad information that may or may not be true. Digg or Reddit may be a better place for your unmerited claims.

Then go buy a Razr.

All this means is its too much of a pain in your ass to go upstairs to get your camcorder. The iphone is something you carry with you, which is why its EASY to use and convenient.. Isn't this the whole purpose of all this?

You bought the camera for a reason right? Because sometimes you'll want to use it. Now its even easier to get a good quality photo without having to go dust off your camera. Why is this a bad thing? I hope your not trying to make this a con?

+1 for the 3GS

It may not be necessary, but it doesn't hurt does it? If you bought the phone, would you ask to have the compass removed? If not, then what is your point? The compass can be worked into MANY custom apps made by developers... Do I hear someone actually complainging about a possibly VERY good feature they are getting as an extra??

This is a bad example. A therefore B is not applicable here. Or maybe your forgetting to highlight that the new 3g works on the new 7.2mbps network? with a faster 3g chip?

It is a improvement that can be multiple times faster. Thats more than an upgrade. Think about how much faster most computers are? If I buy a 3.0 ghz processor, i'm not bitching when the next processor intel sells is less than 10ghz. People are willing to pay for completely new computers when there are minor, subtle changes to the hardware.

pfffffft? Do you have an attitude problem? Do you have a stutter? Not happening? Great! One less person in front of me at the line. I wouldn't have made this post if it wasn't for the seemingly spiteful approach on what has been done by apple. if you don't like it, Fine! Thats great. There are lots of things I don't want to buy as well. But to PFFFT it and scoff and piss and whine noone wants to hear that. Please keep that to yourself? Expressing opinion is by all means good too. But again, the PFFT PSSHH attitude really triggered me here. It just has been building up with all these people complaining and whining about the price. If you can't afford it DON'T BUY IT! I can afford it, I am lucky enough to be able to justify the price. "I AM APPLES TARGETED MARKET". If you want to complain or PSSH PFFT anyone, you should make a new post about not meeting apples demographics. Not about how the iPhone isn't justifiable, because it is to many people. Just not you.

The reality, is they would prefer you keep your current phone. and finish out your contract, let them make their earnings, then sign you up in 2 years. So its not like your spiting them or anything, your just completing your contract you agreed to anyway. Its not like you are 'owed' an early upgrade for free.

By this, do you mean you don't like the Phone? Or the price? Thats two very different things. Maybe you should complain about the thickness of your wallet instead? Because we could argue semantics all day and determine what the true definition of value is, to whom, and when. I'm going to start a thread and complain that sega didn't offer a $1 sega genesis when I was younger because thats all I had. It was ludicrous that they would ask $100+!!! This is what you sound like right now. Pony up, or high tail out.

And yes, you are very true on this one. If the Ferrari doesn't fit my needs I dont buy it.

PFFFT! 600 horsepower! Who the hell needs that. PFFFFT! $250k! Not until they give me a ferarri for the price of my ford focus will I EVER upgrade. I'm not sold Ferrarri! Try again, FAIL!

Its the people that call into customer service call centers with these I AM THE CONSUMER RUB MY FEET attitude that makes the customer service people a bitch to deal with in the first place. Who the hell wants to deal with a customer that thinks everything should be free. Its not, Its not always something we can afford, and when its not, thats it. Nothing you can do except complain or act like someone is trying to scam you or take advantage of you, but like i've seen posted here many times. Noone is forcing your hand, and the real reason you should be mad, is you can't afford the premium to hold the latest in apple's gadgets. Your greed to have the newest shiniest of apples GOOD products is what makes you upset. If their products weren't all that great, you wouldn't waste your time doing this. If their products are great enough to make you wish you could afford them, then that right there tells you that they are doing a good job.

Wow, plenty of fluff there.

Might I remind you that AT&T only has 7.2 HSDPA in 3 cities as of now. They won't being until late 09 and won't finish until 2011.

I can jb to get video on a 3G iphone if I'm so dire to have it.

I've never seen anyone use voice commands. You'd look ridiculous in an airport talking to your phone. :rolleyes:

A compass....dude, really. A compass? Their 99 cents at walmart. Don't tell me about the "possibilities". It's a COMPASS! Get over yourself.

We have yet to see any real indications of the faster speed. Apple gave some numbers....they also gave 3G numbers a year ago which no one has yet to see in real life. You fell for the sales pitch. :apple:

So recap....what do you get for $600-$700

1) a compass
2) a promise of faster speed in a year (when the next iPhone is out)
3) Some numbers from apple about speeds yet to be proven
4) a chance to look ridiculous while talking to your phone
5).....a.......compass?

But whatever, as I said before....ignorance is bliss.

rugox

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2008
Very true. I think most of us in US are spoiled by carrier discounts. I bought my iPhone from ebay at higher price than what I could have paid to AT&T because I didn't want to get stuck with a $30 data-plan for 2-years. Now, I pay $30 data-plan only as long as I use iPhone. I am going to try Nokia N97 from next month and I will get my data-plan changed to $15 unlimited. If the Nokia sucks, I am back to iPhone but never at discounted price from AT&T as I hate to be stuck with $30 data-plan.

That's only if you have money to burn and you think the upgraded spec is worth it for $699. If you don't have the money, it makes more sense to hold off the upgrade now and wait for the next generation iPhone possibly next year and get the subsidized discount price on it. Besides, the look didn't even change. If the design was changed, it could have drawn in more upgrades but this same old design certainly doesn't grab many of the 3G owners' attentions.

Mikey B

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2008
the island
You're willing to pay $500 for 16GB, a better camera, a faster processor, more RAM and a compass?

This place brings in the most ridiculous people.

The poster wasn't saying that the new iPhone is bad, but it definitely isn't worth paying $500 if you already have a 3G, you're barely getting anything for $500 in that case.

Hey man, to each their own. It might not be worth it to you, but clearly it is worth it to others. I don't see why you feel you have the right to call someone ridiculous for wanting to spend their money the way they see fit.

If the design was changed, it could have drawn in more upgrades but this same old design certainly doesn't grab many of the 3G owners' attentions.

I'm not sure I buy that. To me, it's much more important to upgrade the processor, RAM, camera, etc than redesign the form factor. I'd even venture to say that often a company will mask just how inferior an update is by re-designing the form in order to create the illusion of change.

dwd3885

macrumors 68020
Dec 10, 2004
You must be lucky.

3GS would be 599 for me.

Who in their right mind would give me that for an iPhone 3G?

put it on ebay, it will sell for anywhere from 350-550, depending on the condition and accessories/boxes, etc. Remember, when they buy the phone from you, they aren't signing a contract, so even at 400 for the 3G and no contract, it works for them.

Rat-Boy

macrumors 65816
Jul 28, 2008
Georgia
So recap....what do you get for $600-$700

1) a compass
2) a promise of faster speed in a year (when the next iPhone is out)
3) Some numbers from apple about speeds yet to be proven
4) a chance to look ridiculous while talking to your phone
5).....a.......compass?

You forgot the extra MP and auto focus and video.

But yea, that is how I see it at any rate.

$700 is insane.

dwd3885

macrumors 68020
Dec 10, 2004
You forgot the extra MP and auto focus and video.

But yea, that is how I see it at any rate.

$700 is insane.

remember, sell your 3G phone for 3-400 and get the 3G S for 4-500 and you make up the difference. It might really only cost less than $100

klipseracer

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2009
Stop trying to justify the reasons of dishing out $699 for iphone 3gs. You are just attacking his questions like a kid while unable to pose any real arguments. If you are an eager fan of Apple everything Apple does will seem to make sense to you because you are biased.

I had a bunch I was going to say here, But first, Ill say this. Your saying i'm attacking his question? You've lost all credibility in what you've said, because he didn't ask one question. At least know what your trying to say, let alone call someone a 'kid' when you obviously don't know how to read thoroughly.

A compass....dude, really. A compass? Their 99 cents at walmart. Don't tell me about the "possibilities". It's a COMPASS! Get over yourself.

So, your saying a game that can tell when you turn around with the phone wouldn't be very cool? Get over myself? Or the compass? Also, the compasses that are at walmart are quite big. Now, if you were to ducktape a 99c compass to your iPhone 3G and think you were equal, i'd pay 699 for that for a picture. However, Like most of you, i would never pay that much for the new phone. Luckily, I don't have to. If I did, I wouldn't come here complaining.

We have yet to see any real indications of the faster speed. Apple gave some numbers....they also gave 3G numbers a year ago which no one has yet to see in real life. You fell for the sales pitch.

So, The fact that there is a new 3g chip in the iPhone means that it won't utilize more power? If you found a engineering way around this, i'd really like to know.... No, Honestly. Also, what sales pitch are you speaking of? You are fighting yourself here. Bad rebuttle to a statement that had no room for questioning. EVERYONE should know it has a new chip that operates faster. Just like the EDGE -> 3G transition, more power was used. Where does this not make common sense?

I agree.
Dictionary.com definition of Ignorance: n. The condition of being uneducated, unaware, or uninformed.

Sounds like your uninformed about the technology in the iPhone. LOL.

What bad info did I spread exactly?

What bad info did you spread that may or may not be true? How about the battery likely being the same one. You simply don't know that, and tried to knock a phone that noone even has yet. I hate when people use a comeback that makes no sense. Read what i've said because your apparently in denial that some people are happy to pay the money. There must be a lot of morons. My friends told me I was a moron for paying 299 for my iPhone. So the funny thing, is there are people that will say the same thing about your decision to buy the iPhone 3G as well. So what do you have to say about that? Its all a matter of how much you are willing to spend, doesn't make you a moron. You could have donated your 300$ to a charity ya know? Or used it to get glasses since you apparently don't read very well. Or a english grade school book since your reading level isn't up to par since you like to ask questions that can be answered by doing nothing more than reading what you've said. I get it. Your not in the financial situation to buy the new phone. Fine. Why do you have to bash it? Get your N97. Why are you still here? I'm done talking to you so you can stop making rhetorical questions to someone that doesn't care to remind you the answers are in your own posts.

Where did I say it was bad? I said it doesn't justify me paying 700 bucks for a phone.

So.. Maybe this is a misunderstanding. Your saying the iPhone isn't a bad deal? i don't get you.

Don't sit here an lecture me on what the company that I worked for for seven years wants me to do. I know EXACTLY what they want me to do thank you very much.
So, your bitching about something you already know. Doesn't that seem foolish to waste your time complaining about something that even you know won't change? Of all people right? I'd think you, in the orange shirt would know this. And I don't care if you worked there or not. If you want to bring out credentials i'd be happy to. Considering your working for apple, my experience working as a software engineer for HP surely trumps any kind of work you've done at apple as CS.

I would love to see a true justification for paying 700 for a friggin cell phone. Personally, I think anyone doing that is just plain dumb. You don't like my opinion? Too bad.
I respect your opinion. Truly. OMG i'm sooo upset you have an opinion lol. I think I need a vacation now i'm so distraught.

Second of all, I own two 3G iPhones that I payed FULL price for as well as a Blackberry and 2 regular phones on my family plan.

And you just lectured ME about being a moron for buying one phone? Hypocracy at its best.

Don't sit here and pretend like you know MY situation.

Man, I never said I knew your situation, and I never said you had to pay anything for the phone. I've said this a few times. You can't justify it? Fine. Just don't bitch about it. Get your N97. Is that really this big of an issue that we need to do this? I just happened to have some spare time tonight.

First of all, I have been an AT&T customer since they were known as BellSouth Mobility and were featuring the StarTAC (Which I owned).
I believe you. No offense, but I don't see why you've mentioned this.

I just heard that Nokia N97 is released today for around $600 dollars. The phone is a spec giant yet priced around the same ballpark as the $599 or $699 iphone 3gs. So spec-wise the iphone is a no match.
I definitely agree with you on that. If all my data was on a N97, I'd never think even once about the iPhone.

So excuse the me if I think it is a bit messed up that I have to pay $699 for the phone.

I don't have a problem with you thinking its messed up. Never did. Wouldn't it have been a lot easier to say just that than pissing and whining for a whole post then coming back here to defend a lost cause which isn't going to change the price of the phone anyway, at the end of the day you'll still have the same phone you had before. I just don't want to hear anyone ramble on about how the phone sucks. because it doesn't.

Now, if you have a problem with people getting a better deal, blame ATT. I have never been an ATT customer before the iPhone 3G and I got the black 32g for 499. If you don't like the premium that is being charged for the phone, Blame Apple. But don't complain about the phone or the people who buy them. Calling someone a moron for buying the phone is really... I dunno. Either way, I hope you figure out what you wanna do, maybe you'll get an unexpected upgrade from ATT. Anyway, i'm done arguing about it. Cheers.

I think everyone should read this as well. It may change your mind about only getting a compass for your money.

http://it.anandtech.com/gadgets/showdoc.aspx?i=3579

hefeglass

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2009
itll be funny when all the SICK games and other apps come out for the 3gs.

all the people claiming that this was just a "small upgrade" wont be saying that when they are bitching because they cant play the powerful games with the nicer graphics
this new hardware is a big deal...

bjquach

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2008
PA
The last time I saw a $700 phone on a carrier was the original RAZR. $700 is outrageous for an economy that is thinking about keeping their jobs and only spending on necessities.

They should just let everyone upgrade at 399/499 for the two year commit and let people have the OPTION to go no commit at 599/699

Compile 'em all

macrumors 601
Apr 6, 2005
itll be funny when all the SICK games and other apps come out for the 3gs.

all the people claiming that this was just a "small upgrade" wont be saying that when they are bitching because they cant play the powerful games with the nicer graphics
this new hardware is a big deal...

Well said. Support for shaders is HUGE.

AlfaLavala

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2009
Aberdeen, UK

AT&T/O2 are not going to makes sales such that they lose lots of money.

£500/$700 is relative to each person. Me, it's pretty expensive and I'd rather not give the carrier their money back straight away, could be earning me interest instead of them! But if you don't want a contract for 1.5-2 years then you have to do that.

If you sell your 3G to pay for 50-100% of the 3GS, nice. Makes your cash payout less.

Obviously some people will pay and who cares if they do...

...Calm...

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
The better question would be: Even with having to sign-up for an additional 2 years with AT&T, is the 3Gs worth it?

This may just blow over, but I am very wary of AT&T right now. They are charging the full price, but are not allowing the full iPhone experience. This is bad business and would not want to committ to them for another 2 years. In all likelihood, the iPhone may be available on another carrier in 1-2 years.

Rat-Boy

macrumors 65816
Jul 28, 2008
Georgia
I had a bunch I was going to say here
Shocker! :D

What bad info did you spread that may or may not be true? How about the battery likely being the same one. You simply don't know that, and tried to knock a phone that noone even has yet.
I am not knocking the phone. I am saying the upgrade isn't worth $699. Learn the difference.

And as far as spreading bad info, that is a GROSS over statement by you. What I said was, and I directly quote: "I am guessing it is the same battery since the 3G talk time is identical on both phones."

Yea, really spreading bad info there when I put the disclaimer FIRST. :D

So.. Maybe this is a misunderstanding. Your saying the iPhone isn't a bad deal? i don't get you.
I am not sure where the misunderstanding is coming from.

$699 for iPhone 3GS = Moronic. I honestly can't see how anyone can justify paying that much for something that will be out dated in a year.

$199/$299 or even the middle $399/$499 price = Acceptable. Still high, but much more acceptable.

If you want to bring out credentials i'd be happy to. Considering your working for apple, my experience working as a software engineer for HP surely trumps any kind of work you've done at apple as CS.
Ehhhh, what are you talking about??

You said in your last post: "The reality, is they would prefer you keep your current phone. and finish out your contract, let them make their earnings, then sign you up in 2 years."

You were talking about AT&T, correct?

My response meant: I worked for BellSouth (formerly Cingular, now AT&T.) That is why I said I know what they (ATT) want me to do as far as keeping my contract. :D

I now work as an Implementation Engineer for a Medical Software Company since we are comparing current notes. LOL...

And you just lectured ME about being a moron for buying one phone? Hypocracy at its best.
Call it what you want. I payed $400, not $700. Big difference.

I don't have a problem with you thinking its messed up.

Man, I never said I knew your situation
You don't and you didn't? You said a bunch of mumbo jumbo about whiners and thinking they should get something for free and blah blah blah. So in a round about way, you most certainly did.

Either way, I hope you figure out what you wanna do, maybe you'll get an unexpected upgrade from ATT. Anyway, i'm done arguing about it. Cheers.
Yes, I have figured it out.

Upgrade my son's line in July, to a 3GS, cuz he is due for an upgrade.

Then we are trading phones cuz he would love my 3G. (Please note, my rant here came before I realized this as a certified viable option.)

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
There is no way I am going to pay $600-$700 for a cellphone. I will wait until I can get the subsidized price.

Agreed. A cell phone would have to be made out of solid gold and have a nice, hot breakfast ready for me every morning when I wake up before I spent that kind of money on a phone.

uberamd

macrumors 68030
May 26, 2009
Minnesota

Whether you pay that much up front, or get the subsidized price and pay the rest later, you are going to end up paying that price. Some people prefer to not get locked in and just outright buy the phone.

And $600-700 is not outrageous for a phone as powerful as the iPhone, without a contract: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...&bop=And&ActiveSearchResult=True&Order=PRICED

I qualified for the upgrade, but to some people who can front the cash, its no different than getting it with a contract, you pay that price in the end.

mgamber

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2008
LOL! There's no phone on earth worth $599 and $699. Next time you hear how the rich get richer off the ignorant, unwashed masses, here's the dictionary definition of why that happens.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.