Even if the 3rd Gen iPod Touch has a mic

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by agkm800, Jul 24, 2009.

1. agkm800 macrumors 6502a

agkm800

Even if that's true, you'd still need a headset to use it as a phone because it wouldn't have a built-in ear speaker at the upper bezel just like the iPhone, right?

This may sound like a stupid question, but people are all excited about the mic that they seem to think it will be just same as the iPhone when making Skype calls.

So, it will be either use it like a speaker phone or use the headset. Correct?

2. MomoRacer macrumors member

Good point. Although the 2g has a speaker, it's near the bottom. Plus, like you stated, it would be more like a speaker phone than a phone.

3. buxtone17 macrumors regular

I haven't seen anything about people thinking the 3rd Gen touch will be just the same as the iPhone.

I've seen a ton about people saying that the 3rd Gen touch, if it indeed comes with a built-in mic, will basically be a free phone if you have Skype or Fring.

Despite the lack of an earpiece, that's pretty freaking amazing.

4. CactusChef macrumors member

If the 3rd gen isn't going to have an external mic, it should still support Bluetooth because the 2nd gen already does (they wouldn't remove that for their next model).

Actually, by Apple not putting an external mic on the 3rd gen would be an ample opportunity (a.k.a. the perfect excuse) on their part so that they can get people to buy another one of their products which means more $$$ ....

I can see it now: The "Official Apple Bluetooth headset made exclusively for the iPod touch" (even though any other brand named Bluetooth headset would most likely be compatible).:p

Whatever the case may be, I hope it does include a mic as well.

5. NJMetsHero macrumors regular

I see there being the 3 possibilities. Apple will either push the iPod Touch as a Wifi phone, a camera (like a flip), or both. If Apple decides to market the Touch as a Wifi phone in any way, it will be built with the speaker by where the ear goes. If not, you could use your headphones, or put it on speaker phone.

6. CactusChef macrumors member

Now that I actually think about it, I'm leaning more towards that it WILL have a mic. My reason being is that if it was to have a camera, I would assume it would support video recording (heck my 3 year old phone does). Since the 2nd gen supports voice via external source, I'm sure they'd kick it up a notch and have it built in.

7. Liam8 macrumors 6502

Liam8

I would bet that the next generation iPod Touch will have all the features of the iPhone except the 3G. It will be like a wifi phone (however I don't know if that is how they will market it). I believe it will be the "iPhone Nano".

8. fannin269 macrumors newbie

Skype is NOT supported on Apple's 3.0 OS. In fact, many of the features are disabled and the reliability suffers.

There's a one-time acreen message about the incompatibility after you download the new operating system.

Anyone know a workaround or whether a system downgrade is advisable?

9. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

A downgrade wouldn't be possible on the 3rd gen.

10. tadad1 macrumors 6502a

tadad1

You can use your skype account through fring which has been updated for 3.0.

11. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

I would use it with earbuds for incoming sound, along with the built in mic...just like I use skype with my laptop already.

12. brownricetofu macrumors member

works for me

Strange... Skype works just fine on my 2nd gen ipod touch with 3.0 software...

13. markojug macrumors regular

Skype works fine with me too... what's your problem? I'm on 3.0 and have a 2g touch.

14. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

If it's a new Touch, there are no rules that would keep Apple from moving the location of the speaker. They could simply re-wire the current speaker to act as a mic, and add a new speaker at the top. Maybe let both act as stereo speakers when you're not recording. The innards would be re-arranged anyway to fit the mythical camera in there.

I think Apple is trying to make the Touch support as many iPhone-only apps as possible. It increases the potential market for iPhone App developers by 13 million or more.

15. fannin269 macrumors newbie

The DTMF sounds were disabled. As was the speaker (which I admit isn't a huge deal). I'm also on 3.0 and have a 2g Touch.

Checking company voicemail and calling businesses was easy before.

Fring, an excellent app, also is not able dial DTMF sounds.

A routine Sync with ITunes now takes more than two hours to clear the "Backing Up Fannin's iPod" procedure.

16. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

or TruPhone.. but watch out for dropped calls

17. v8ko macrumors newbie

I use my phone as a phone but I really want a mic on the new ipod.