Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 15, 2005
I keep trying to put OS X back onto a mid-2011 mini server I returning for another one. I'm just going to give up and return it without the OS because I can't get it installed on this thing.

While still with the original copy of Lion and factory recovery partition, I created the USB Recovery Key.

This boots fine and disk utility works great with this USB key.

However, when I go to install OS X, it still has to try to do a several hour download which fails. What is the point of the key then?

How do get a backup of the original shipment configuration besides Time Machine? I will have Time Machine backups, but in case I ever want to sell the machine, I want to be able to put it back factory fresh, and I understand I can't use the App Store download or anything to create a disk because it doesn't match up with the specific Lion that ships on the Airs & Minis of 2011.

The decision to remove any disks and or USB key from the Airs and Minis was a strange move by Apple indeed. Just extra headaches, and I rarely have a negative thing to say about Apple.

Thanks for any advice.

Mr. Retrofire

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2010
www.emiliana.cl/en
However, when I go to install OS X, it still has to try to do a several hour download which fails. What is the point of the key then?

If you have a fast network access, and you use a new HDD or SSD in your Mac mini, then the HDD/SSD has obviously no recovery partition, and you can use your fast connection together with the key to restore Lion on your machine.

In such a case you can also create a machine specific USB installation disc, which contains the full installer for your Mid-2011 Mac mini. Search MacRumors via Google, thank you!

johnhurley

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2011
I keep trying to put OS X back onto a mid-2011 mini server I returning for another one. I'm just going to give up and return it without the OS because I can't get it installed on this thing.

Here is a way to get the full installer ( will be at 10.7.2 ). Article notes macbook pro/air but works on other systems too.

Not sure why so many people cannot locate this ( macworld hint ).

Of course even this way has to download the full install ONCE but then it is saved onto a DVD and/or USB flash drive ( your choice ).

If you cannot succeed in 1 full download somewhere well then ... this way won't work either.

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 15, 2005
Many thanks to both of you. Most of this I did know.

What shocked me was why Apple puts out the USB Creation Tool, if it still must download from the Internet once it loads up?

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
Thanks to both of you. Most of this I did know.

What shocked me was why Apple puts out the USB Creation Tool, if it still must download from the Internet once it loads up?

well the USB key is the same thing as the recovery partition the point of the USB key was for people who do not have that built in partition

the usb key would allow you to download lion on a blank hard drive, without it you mac would sit there asking you "what am i suppose to do, you dont have anything on this hard drive"

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 15, 2005
well the USB key is the same thing as the recovery partition the point of the USB key was for people who do not have that built in partition

the usb key would allow you to download lion on a blank hard drive, without it you mac would sit there asking you "what am i suppose to do, you dont have anything on this hard drive"

Well except on the new Macs, you can go Command R. Therefore, the USB key is pretty pointless on a Mid 2011 or later Mac.

However, I get your point otherwise, obviously the correct answer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.