Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BlueDevil

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2003
This is my first post, and I did try searching, but I've still got a few questions for you guys if you don't mind.

First off, I'm a Windows user. I had two bad experiences with Macs that went bad a few years ago, so I've sworn off their PCs. I tried to stay away from the iPod, but I just can't do it...it's too damn cool.

Anyway, I've got some specific questions:

I don't think I have USB 2.0, and I don't know if I have FireWire. My computer is around 2 years old, running a 993mhz Athlon with a 256MB RAM, and a 20GB HD. I've got 2.6GB of music on my computer...so I'm think a 10GB iPod would leave plenty or room for expansion.

My questions are:

- do you think I have a FireWire port, and is there any way to check?

- is it a problem that I'm a Windows user (i.e. do I have to buy one type of iPod over another)?

- is the docking station worth it (I don't think the 10GB model comes with it)

- could I save some money and buy a refurbished iPod, maybe with a bigger HD? have you guys had any bad experiences with refurbs? should I look on eBay, through these boards, or where?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :D

chewbaccapits

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2001
Torrance, Californizzel
First off...maybe a picture of your computer's ports would help..From the specs you gave most of us wouldn't know if it did have firewire or not....there are PC and Apple owners here but unless they've used or own that similar set-up it would be difficult to say the least. But since you said its 2 years old I would tend to to think you don't have either one....

As far as which iPod is better for you....well...I would tell you to imagine how much more life will you squeeze out of your PC...Will you be with a new computer in a year or two? Will you eventually buy a mac? These questions will help you understand this:

The recent iPods (essential the ones with the 4 buttons) all come with dock (firewire) connectors. USB 2.0 is extra (20 bucks, I believe).Aside from the adapter, the iPod cannot be powered thru add-on firewire cards (please check with this statement though :) ) or USB 2.0
The 1st and 2nd generation iPods are sold either for mac or windows...

I have 2 iPods..one for my wife and one for me. They both 10 gigs. One is 2nd generation, the other a 3rd gener...Both kick ass.

We bought the 2nd generation (refurbished) iPod thru the Apple store here. Hopes this helps a little.

all-in-my-head

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2003
UK
Currently on PC aswell, which is a bit older than urs but basic set-up is the same.
I would guess you dont have firewire, but will have USB 1 if not USB 2. Since both require a USB adaptor cable or something from Apple, i would recommend getting a firewire card. They fit into a spare PCI slot and i picked one up for about £30 - $50? from local PC store. It has 3 ports on it and if using the dock does allow you to charge your iPod via the PC.
As far as the New iPod (4 button, 3G) goes they are compatible both ways, pc and mac. If your use it on windows first it formats to PC basis, if you take it over to a mac it will reformat to a mac and then you'll need software to read and write to it from PC (Xplay or ephPod). The older iPods i believe only work on Macs.
The dock is not essential but usefull and handy for connecting and charging quickly. its also a nice place to leave you iPod on show, coz it looks sweet.

m.r.m.

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2003
Germany
when buying a firewire card be sure to get one with a via chipset as these seem to work best. adaptec, orange micro among others build such cards. i have the adaptec fireconnect 4300 and have only good things to report.
i´d recommend you getting a firewire card because the ipod isn´t powered by the usb cable (the cable is split so you can attach the ac adapter to power the ipod). you just have to remember to connect it to the ac adapter though. firewire (as long as you use 6-pin) will power the ipod.
i´d say the dock is worth it, because i never need to unplug cables. you can sync the ipod with your computer and then unmount the ipod (in order to avoid unneccessary wear and tear on the hdd, that spins continuesly while mounted to the computer) and simply leave it in the dock to charge. very simple and convenient. unfortunately the dock scratches the bottom of the ipod a little. that´s something apple need to work on for the next dock.

if you have any more questions check out the faqs and forum area at http://www.ipodlounge.com . the best place to go for ipod info imho. :)

chewbaccapits

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2001
Torrance, Californizzel
I agree...the dock is pretty convenient and one thing to keep in mind..If you ever buy a mac (assuming you buy a 3G, 4-button iPod) you can use if seemlessy with a PC, w/ohaving to deal with the reformatting (as described before this post.)

BlueDevil

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2003
Alright, here is what I'm planning so far.

I'm actually going to get the 20GB iPod. IIRC, that comes with the docking cradle and the carry case...that question solved.

I'm going to buy an iTrip to play my iPod through my car stereo. I'm also going to buy a power adapter to power the iPod using the lighter.

I think between this thread and asking my sister, I've got all my questions answered. Hopefully I'll be getting the iPod/iTrip/power adapter/new radio faceplate for Christmas or Hannukah. Holidays are a wonderful thing! Thanks for all the help. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.