Even more questions regarding heat

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tlwalrus, Jun 28, 2011.

1. tlwalrus macrumors newbie

I am looking to upgrade to a 15" MacBook Pro in the near future, but I am concerned about the heat issue.

Let me explain first that I have a 2007 13" MacBook that powers itself off due to overheating, especially during hot days. This happens most often while using Windows, when I am attempting to play a game, but it also happens while using Final Cut or the Flash plugin. This is the principal reason I want to upgrade, though I have many others. I am completely comfortable with 95C temperatures as long as my machine is still able to run. I never use my notebook on my lap, the places I most commonly touch my machine are the keyboard, palm rests, sides, and the front edge, all areas I am comfortable with some degree of warmth with. Fans do not bother me, though if they are running while activity monitor has little activity to report, that may irritate.

1) Often I work in he tropics in buildings without air conditioning, environmental temperatures up to 35C. Am I going to see problems while using OS X?

2) Will the machine suffer emergency shutdowns while playing processor and graphics intense Windows games?

3) I have not seen reports of complaints about the 17" model, the way I have with the 13" and 15". Is this because it does not have the same problems? While the extra bulk and price is not attractive to me, would it prove an attractive alternative to the 15" model in regards to heat management?

Thank you.

2. palpatine macrumors 68040

Fewer 17" users=fewer posts in general. Bigger computer=more air flow, I guess, but 15" and 13" seem fine to me. I have not seen any overheating issues, if you define overheating as shutting down when it gets too hot, as it is designed to do. 15 and 13 inch computers get warm and people freak out, but that isn't overheating. 35 degrees is fine. Working in environment over 80 might be a problem. I suppose the amount of heat generated depends on what you are doing with it. Give it a try and return it if you have problems.

3. escogido macrumors member

If you do end up getting a new MBP, I suggest you change the thermal paste on it - makes a huge difference. It will still get up to 80-90 degrees on full load, but won't get over a 100, at least it doesn't on mine. We've had a couple of heat waves, at 33+ degrees and my MBP was fine, playing SC2 on ultimate settings. :D (I have a 15" 2.3GHz)