Even though 5th gen is around the corner, is a 4th gen still decent enough?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by dmk1974, Sep 18, 2012.

1. dmk1974 macrumors 68000

dmk1974

My son has an 8gb 4th gen iPod Touch that is out of storage space. It really slows it down too when running App Store updates because it can't download and update more than one at a time.

I was thinking of getting him a 32gb model, but the new 5th gen next month is $299. I see on the Apple Refurb site that the same 4th gen model that he has, but with 32gb, is $209.

Space being equal of course, is it a mistake to get the soon-to-be previous gen? Or throw down the extra 45% and get the new one? Thanks!

2. coolguy879 macrumors member

Get the iPod touch 5G. It will be much better than the iPod touch 4G.

3. seong macrumors 65816

seong

well, it really depends on what your son uses his iPod Touch for.
    If he likes taking pictures, like pretty colors (or manly, whichever suits him the best :D) and appreciate the larger screen, then I'd say wait it out.

Another option to keep in mind.... sell the iPod touch 4th gen 8GB for around $80~$100 dollars, then add that amount to your existing $209, and ta-da! Your son has a brand new iPod Touch!

I would go with the 'sell&buy the newest one,' if I were you.

4. stiligFox macrumors 65816

stiligFox

From my experience just playing with the demo units at the Apple Store, I would wait for the 5th gen. The 4th gen is terribly laggy. Even something as simple as opening the multitasking tray takes a while. The other thing is that this is very likely the 4th gen will get an update, i.e. it probably won't get iOS 7. The 5th gen however should in theory get up to iOS 8.

5. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

The 4th gen suffers from not enough RAM. I would go with the 5th gen or a used 4th gen that is much cheaper then the refurb.

6. 617aircav Suspended

If priority is gaming then 5, if priority is music and others then 4. I'm buying 4th gens on CL. Looking to pay 100 for a 32gb.

7. k1lljoy macrumors member

For music, browsing, minor gaming like angry birds and stuff.. The 4g is suffice. But if you wanna really game, then it's just crap. The weak a4 processor and lack of RAM is huge.

8. JohnnyAndre macrumors regular

The 4G has a <1MP camera, a screen thats retina, but with horrible viewing angles, and a design (chrome back) only a mother would love. In other words, sell that relic and get that new hotness. You know next years touch bump won't be more than A6/camera in the same shell.

9. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Getting the 4th gen touch with more storage isn't going to make downloading and updating apps faster. They only download one at a time no matter how much space you have. The only difference is you'll be able to keep more stuff on your device, but downloading/syncing times do not change.

10. dthree36 macrumors regular

What I often tell people when it comes to buying an non upgradable product stands true here. To save $50 dollars on technology that is over a year old doesn't make sense. If you are willing to drop full retail on the previous model, bite the bullet and spend the little extra for something that will have a longer life span. IOS 7 will be out next year and there is no telling if the 4th gen will be supported in that release.

11. Irishman macrumors 68030

"Crap" is a bit of an exaggerated choice of adjective.

I have a 4th gen and run Rage HD, Dead Space, Infinity Blade, and Dead Trigger run surprisingly well. There are occasional stutters when there are lots of polys on screen, but that is to be expected.

They are playable, though.

12. samdev macrumors regular

My opinion, the iPod Touch 4 will not handle iOS 6 very well, nor will it handle any iOS after that.
    Apple might let you update your device, but the performance and battery life will be crap.

The specs for the iPod Touch 5 have doubled in everything, from memory to storage space.
    So, that should give you a little hint of what iOS 6.0 is expecting. If your device doesn't
    have that, then it's gonna bog down your device, and suck the battery life from it.

13. k1lljoy macrumors member

You're right.. But the games coming out now are less and less playable by the 4G..

But yeah, it's not crap. But like I said, "minor" gaming.

14. myrtlebee macrumors 68000

myrtlebee

I've had iOS 6 on my 4th gen since the hour it was released with absolutely no issues with battery life or anything being slower for that matter.

15. samdev macrumors regular

For most people who upgraded to iOS 6.0 late in the game, there is no going back.
    They have to mentally accept it, since Apple strictly blocks iTunes downgrades after a limited time.

I downgraded to 5.1.1 because I hit some show-stoppers with iOS 6. So, if you think
    upgrading to iOS 6 is snappy, then downgrading to 5.1.1 gives you the perception of
    your device running 10x faster. 5.1.1 seems unbelievably fast now.

16. myrtlebee macrumors 68000

myrtlebee

I have no idea what you are talking about. I was on iOS 5 and 6 seems faster to me on my iPod Touch 4th gen.

17. iPodTouch4Life macrumors newbie

I live in Chicago. I'm selling my 4G 32GB if you are interested and you live in Chicago just email me at dannytorres318@hotmail.com and I'll give you additional information.

----------

I doubt you'll find it for $100 only if something is wrong with it but probably like $200.

18. itouchipodtouch macrumors newbie

Yea give him whAt he use it for and think fast sell the iPod touch 4 in two thre days so you you'll get better price