Even with case, do you feel like your phone is flawed?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by btownguy, Jun 29, 2010.

1. btownguy macrumors 6502a

I shucked out the $30 door the bumper to fix the reception issue and it pretty much does. I should be happy now, right? Somehow I still feel like I have a flawed device even though it works perfectly fine. To me, this speaks to the brand equity that Apple has lost due to their mishandling of this issue thus far. Here's hoping they come out with a software patch...even if it is a placebo.

2. H.B.I.C macrumors member

yup. the bumper is not fixing the problem. Only cover it up.

3. peestandingup macrumors regular

Of course. Anyways, the bumper (or any other case) doesnt fix it. It only acts as a deterrent for your hand/fingers to not cover the antennas.

This is the crappiest move Apple's done in a looong time. What's worse, is they're not owning up to it. Link. Saying "just dont use it that way" is pretty lame.

4. eTip macrumors 6502

No. Always use a case anyhow. There is absolutely NO way I would have known about this if not for it being a big issue for others. Not dismissing others for being concerned etc. - it just doesn't affect me. In fact, my reception is better at home than w/ my 2g. So, I am a happy camper.

5. Savor Suspended

Savor

No, because by phone is perfect when I got it.

Eventually, the phone will be flawed with constant use. The battery gets weaker, a few nicks in the metal band, a dead pixel appears, etc. Nothing stays perfect forever. I once tried doing that to my video game consoles, and the more I wanted it flawless by not using and keeping them dust-free, the more I was just babysitting an expensive paperweight that would get replaced eventually. Now some of my old game systems just sit in a box somewhere in my garage. It is just a phone. Not a $15K diamond ring. We use it as tools to affect our lives in an efficient way. You won't bury yourself with it or take it with you in some afterlife (if there is one). I know what it is like to be OCD. Like Howard Hughes, it will drive you nuts eventually. Not worth it. Like with people who made the device, learn to accept imperfections.

I say once the honeymoon period wears off (and it will), you take out the case and stop caring because it is no longer "new" and pristine. If you sell it next year, you are just doing a big favor to the new owners while likely never seeing or using it again anyway.

And I agree about the signal problems could depend on where you live. I live in an area with strong signal and can't replicate the problem. I basically have a bumper not because of the death grip signal problem, but the fact I don't like the feel of the edges of the phone and the fact the glass protudes on both sides without the bezel anymore. Easy shatter. The bumper still makes it look slick anyway..

6. Nyse macrumors member

Since mine works without a case...............no.

7. Peanut207 macrumors 6502

Peanut207

Not at all. Phone worked fine without bumper...I had to purposely try to lose bars and even then I didn't drop calls. Now with the bumper on I don't lose any bars at all. As far as I'm concerned it's a non-issue.

8. Mystikal macrumors 68020

Mystikal

I feel like every phone is flawed since I NEVER see 5 bars at home.