Even worth getting a White Macbook anymore? Old one broke

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Sean Dempsey, Jul 23, 2009.

1. Sean Dempsey macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

My 3 year old White Macbook broke (my wife's actually), and she does need a computer. So I am stuck here deciding on what is best to replace it with. The White macbook is 999, but it seems like such a step backwards when for 200 dollars more, the 13 Macbook pro is available.

She doesn't use it for anything but internet/email, so the White plastic one would work fine... but do we really want to carry that outdated, old form factor for another few years?

What is the consensus on the white macbook? Not worth it for any reason?

2. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

Macbook Pros definitely have a better design but their flaw is denting. So do you want denting in Macbooks Pros or cracks in Whitebooks? Macbooks Pros also have bettery battery life, better screen, SD slot, firewire 800, ability to have 8GB of RAM, etc. Its your choice on what to get her for her needs though.

3. GeekGirl* macrumors 65816

GeekGirl*

I like the white better the the MBP 13" the glass and black bezel are deal breakers I ended up with the Air but the whiteMB was my other choice.

4. ttttaylor macrumors regular

i've got a white one, and i do a bit more than just web stuff and it still gets the job done fine. and i actually like the look of the white one. sure it kind of feels more fragile than the aluminum ones, but hey.

i got mine before the 13" pro was around and the price was only $200 more than the white. so if i was in your position, i'd probably go with the pro.

5. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

What's the point in spending more if you know your wife isn't going to need it? Like you said, she only needs it for mail and internet so the extra's on the MacBook Pro wouldn't necessarily help you (maybe the battery but doing limited tasks shouldn't make the MacBook's battery look like it's useless.) Again, doing nothing more than what you stated, it shoudn't matter if the MacBook is "dated" technology, fits your/her needs.

6. Kat King123 macrumors regular

Kat King123

i have a whitebook i love it honestly theres no real reason to buy a pro simply because
    1. i run an XP VM,photoshop,garageband,and guitar rig 3 and still have more than enough ram left so i dont need 8gb, 2gb is fine
    2.i think the white macbook has a more applish feel to it ha lik most accessories really dont match the pro
    3.i need firewire 400 not 800
    4. the screens seem the same when i compared them
    5.heard they scratch easy and dent easy :(

7. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

I wouldn't pay more than $1K for a machine without an expresscard or built in 3G wireless internet capability.

I would get a good condition used white macbook, or an older macbook pro. The ones with the LED screens, that also have expresscard slots. They can be found for around $1K. Sometimes $750 if the owner is unsure what it's worth.

8. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

9. Buskape macrumors 6502

Buskape

As one said, what's the point in spending more if you don't need it?

My girlfriend recently ordered the white macbook 2.13 ghz 9400m and it's an excellent machine! It has enough power to run photoshop or any other tasks a little demanding smoothly.

No need to shell out an extra 200$ keep them for something else, go for the white macbook, it's performance is alot more then enough for those kinds of everyday tasks. And it has Snow Leopard support with the 9400m so it's not really an outdated machine.

10. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

Resale value. If, of course it has to be a macbook. Otherwise any netbook would do.