Evening not going well: Migration Assistant failing me

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rickeames, Feb 25, 2009.

1. rickeames macrumors regular

New 17" MBP, trying to bring settings over from old 15" unibody, and it just won't do it. Throwing errors all over the place.

- 2009-02-25 18:54:20 -0800 Error copying file at path /Volumes/Vulcan/Users/sirathos/./.Trash/11 Sometimes a Great Notion (HD).m4v. Input/output error (5)
    - 2009-02-25 18:54:20 -0800 Error copying file at path /Volumes/Vulcan/Users/sirathos/./.Trash/11 Sometimes a Great Notion.m4v. Device not configured (6)
    - 2009-02-25 18:54:20 -0800 Error copying file at path /Volumes/Vulcan/Users/sirathos/./.Trash/12 A Disquiet Follows My Soul.m4v. Device not configured (6)

I have run disk repair on the other machine, and nothing is wrong. They are connected to each other via FW800.

I'm baffled...and stuck. I don't want to have to reset every fricking application over again.

2. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Might be something wrong with those files? What I would try to do enable file sharing between the two computers and see if you can move them from one computer to the other.

I'm assuming you have more errors but just listed those? (errors messages are more/less the same than what you have listed?)

Is deleting those files or moving them onto a different disk possible and re-trying to migrate again?

3. rickeames thread starter macrumors regular

Tried that, and then it complained about other files. I've never had this happen before -- the other drive is fine.

4. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

I guess we can try to disable journaling on the 15.4" MacBook Pro and see if that helps.

- Go to "Disk Utility"
    - Select Macintosh HD or whatever your volume you're using to enable or disable journaling on.
    - To enable, click the Enable Journaling button or choose Enable Journaling from the File menu.
    - To disable journaling, choose Disable Journaling from the File menu.

Try to disable and then enable it and try again. If that doesn't work, try to disable journaling and running MA again.

5. scottuf macrumors 6502

it looks like those files are all in the trash. have you tried emptying it before transferring?

6. 212rikanmofo macrumors 65816

is using the migration tool better than performing a restore of a time machine backup?

I plan on doing the same thing when i get my new 17" mbp. I have a time machine backup of my files from my old unibody 15" mbp.

Was wondering which method would be best.