ever be able to record video?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by soLoredd, Mar 12, 2008.

1. soLoredd macrumors 6502a

Will we ever get to record video on the iPhone? It would be great to upload videos to youtube while on the go. Any word from Apple?

2. 36183 Guest

it possible if you jailbreak your iphone and install an application.

3. tipling macrumors newbie

4. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Yes. There have already been SDK reports that allow for video.

TEG

5. cbrain macrumors 65816

cbrain

That would make sense as developers may want to create demonstration videos of their products.

6. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

I mean they allow the use of the camera to record video.

TEG

7. cbrain macrumors 65816

cbrain

Ah. A screen recorder would be a good idea though.

8. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

Im looking forward to this feature (amonst a couple others) with the sdk. This has been one of my major dissapointments with the iphone (not that i cared enough not to buy it =P) but i always loved video cameras on phones (even tho they suck) they work perfectly well for what they are sposed to do.

9. tipling macrumors newbie

I assume drunknbass is the only app available....is there a way to get it without creating an account with monsterandfriends?

10. soLoredd thread starter macrumors 6502a

I agree. At first I never thought it would make much difference to me but more and more I'm realizing how much I miss the video feature. I would take clips of people sleeping at work, at sporting events, etc. A simple camera doesn't 'capture' that.

11. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

It surely doesnt. I might be willing to hack my phone if there was an app that let you take video, save it on your phone, and transfer it on your computer. Is there such an app? It looks like you can just record it and thats it? which doesnt make sense at all.

12. TravisReynolds macrumors regular

TravisReynolds

i'm sure it will be available. But yes i know

Out of everythign the iPhone can do, it can't even record a simple video

13. grumbler macrumors member

The reason is that if you took a video, there'd be no way to view it.
    Videos on the iPod app have to be managed through iTunes; putting an iPhone-created movie in that list wouldn't fit in context. To make sense, iPhone recordings would either have to live in the Photos app or in an entirely new Video app. Same goes with voice recordings.

The iPod application is supposed to act like an iPod-- it's something you fill up at home with commercial media.

What this all really goes back to is how iPhone doesn't handle 'files' per say.

14. sdd4 macrumors member

actually the app called "ShowTime" from the polar bear farm source (not sure which it is... visit polarbearfarm.com for more info) records video as well. and apparently if you unlock it, it breaks the 5-second limit on recordings. pair this app with iSpit (or SSH into your phone, which is imo harder than iSpit), and you can copy it to your computer. apparently there is a color issue, but at polar bear farm's website they have a converter that fixes color issues. hope this helps.

EDIT: By unlock, I mean donate to purchase a license key.