Ever busted for using Limewire?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by mgguy, Sep 11, 2007.

1. mgguy macrumors 6502

mgguy

Have you ever been "busted" for downloading music using Limewire or other such person-to-person sharing application, or know of anyone who has? Music companies and artists may threaten to bring legal claims against those who download copywrited music without paying for it, but how often does this really happen? I suspect that punishment is rare, considering how many people are freely sharing music over the internet.

2. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

The FBI called my dad for using "Bare Share." They said if he want to continue traveling with the President of the United States of America (he does that once in a while, he's a T.V. camera man. He has traveled with every president since Reagan) he should stop downloading free songs. They let him off with a warning.

Prof. :apple:

3. dopey220 macrumors 6502

dopey220

A woman I used to work with said her daughter got busted. I think she had to pay a fine for each song she had downloaded. I can't remember what it was, but it was definitely a good amount. But, I'm pretty sure she was careless about it and just left the files lying around in her shared folder. As long as you don't share anything and move things out of the shared folder when they're done downloading, you should be good. Also, you know, firewall and blah blah blah.

4. gazelleintense macrumors regular

gazelleintense

my understanding is they are more worried about people serving files.... to others.... running servers and sharing files.

if you are sharing files with others, be afraid. Be very afraid.

5. iKwick7 macrumors 65816

iKwick7

My brother got a letter in the mail for downloading a dvd. Neither of us have downloaded even a song since iTunes came out. I can handle paying $1 for a song.

6. Mammoth macrumors 6502a

Mammoth

I do use P2P, but not Limewire. On one occasion my ISP sent a letter to me regarding me downloading stuff like Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, which I didn't download as I have it on DVD. But then again I'm in Canada where we're more lax about this stuff.

7. Scott982 macrumors member

Scott982

A friend of mine was sued back in december of 2006 for downloading songs from kazaa back in 2002. They had a list of everything that she downloaded which was around 500 songs and she had to pay close to $5,000.

8. coffey7 macrumors 6502a

coffey7

They should put people who steal movies and music in jail.

9. jaydub macrumors 6502a

jaydub

I got a Cease & Desist order from my ISP when I downloaded an episode of Entourage. I haven't since, I'm scared. :D

10. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

LOL! :p

11. Tumeg101 macrumors 6502a

Tumeg101

My friend uses Limewire, and he has downloaded about 10gb of music using Limewire, and his ISP sent them a letter saying to get rid of the songs, or they will cut off there internet... and he just put them on cd's, deleted them, and put the songs back on with the CD's... he still does this, but with Frostwire... and he hasn't been caught... yet....
    he nows how to do it now, (he will burn the songs to cds, delete them, put them back on with the CD, then he will delete all 'cookies' and download history, and run a few scans for tracking things....)

12. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

:rolleyes: So, you'd have a good majority of the US population behind bars for stealing music and no room left for the murderers and rapists, you know, the REAL criminals?

13. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

I don't understand why people download. If you can't afford it, don't buy it.

More likely, you're being cheapskates who aren't willing to pay $1 a song or $15 a movie. Give me a break.

14. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

you know all the stuff you friend does is worthless right? They do not need to use he computer to find out what he has been up to. It just be on their server logs.