Ever done video/photo SlideShows for weddings,birthdays,ect...?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by DisFrikkenWill, Oct 16, 2007.

1. DisFrikkenWill macrumors member

Im planning on doing this as a side jobs. I just wanted to know of a good projector that I can get to hook up my MacBook Pro to and a good sound system to hook my MacBook Pro to also to get sound.

Any tips on what to do and what kind of equipment to get would be greatly appreciated as this is my 1st time doing it. I would like to make this as my own full time business too someday.

Thanks,
    Will

:D

2. italiano40 macrumors 65816

italiano40

3. DisFrikkenWill thread starter macrumors member

and why was that? what kind of problems/irritations did you encounter?
    :rolleyes:

4. italiano40 macrumors 65816

italiano40

i could not drink and i had to shoot the video all thru the wedding running around like a crazy person then i had to edit too, and that was a nightmare just find just the right shot with music, that is watching 6 hrs of film like a thousand times. i really just wanted to enjoy the wedding

5. D ROCK macrumors regular

yeah I have done this many times.... side business of sorts.
    I have made some friends in the rental business and have made use of their top of the line always "new" projectors and audio setups.
    When they are not using them on a big show I can usually get them for the weekend for next to nothing.
    :O)
    I also have used a peavey all in one type setup that I found useful. (Though not the best sound by any means it still was good enough for the 50 people birthday party)
    it only costs 750.00 brand new.
    it is a little self contained amp and mixer with two speakers all the cables etc and folds up into a little carry case.... very easy to use and cheap.
    I don't know how much you plan on spending but I would suggest renting a few different models and seeing how busy you get before shelling out big bucks.
    you can look impressive and sound great for a small fee when you are just renting. also you can get a feel for what it costs and how "big" you need to go.
    just call a rental company or two and explain what the venue will be and ask what they recommend. tell them you are checking around for prices and take the one that seems most helpful and easy to work with...
    my two cents....

6. DisFrikkenWill thread starter macrumors member

ahhh I see, I'll take that as a tip. To try hardest not to do any close friends weddings so I can have a good time myself. :p

Thanks man, That gives me ideas to rent and try out some stuff. eventually I can BUY the equipment myself later and will know what to get since I tested it out with the renting.

7. -DH macrumors 65816

I've always opted to rent the projector, screen and sound system then mark it up to my client. That frees me to NOT be the one that has to deliver, set up the equipment, nor do I have to be there to strike everything when it's over.

But the main reason I decided not to purchase the gear myself is that one projector/screen/audio system won't work for every venue or event. Some venues may require an 8x6 rear projection screen with a short throw lens and a 300w sound system, while the next one may require a much brighter projector, a 16x20 front projection screen and a 1000w sound system with 6 speakers and the next client might not have room for a projector/screen at all ... and want multiple 32" LCD monitors scattered throughout the room(s).

The point is that it can get very expensive to own and maintain the right gear for every job. I simply determine the client's needs, make a call, then earn a 15% markup ... all without leaving home or spending a dime on gear.

-DH