Ever Felt Feeling So Down...?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by redAPPLE, Dec 13, 2007.

1. redAPPLE macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

... that you just want to stop walking or whatever you are doing and cry?

right now, the stress in my professional and private life just seem to be too much, especially that the holiday season is almost here, and i seem so powerless to correct anything right now.

to a lesser degree, i am still not sure if i should get the iPhone or the iPod touch. but that belongs to another thread.

what do you do to jump back up, after a loss or when you got problems?

2. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Pocket Universe, nth Dimensional Complex Manifold
    Well, whether I'm utimately successful at what I'm aspiring to, I've come across 4 important words that summarize the most important question you can ask yourself. Its far more important than the details of what's happening to you, believe me. You could be diagnosed with cancer, on the verge of bankrupcy, find out your best friend in the world just got hit by a car, and these 4 words will ultimately define your future.

"HOW STRONG ARE YOU?"

It's like a succinct, poke in the chest everytime you see the words. At least it should be. Sometimes I've been so depressed that all I wanted to do was fall asleep and never get up again. At the end of the day however, there's what the Universe will let you have, and there's what you need to struggle to achieve. Almost everything worthwhile fits into the second category. The natural progression of everything is to let things fall apart... its the struggle that holds it together.

And the great thing? The absolutely fabulous thing about struggle, is that when you succeed... when you persevere through a mountain of hardship, and gain those fleeting victories... celebrate them. The harder they were fought for, the sweeter they taste when you stop to really appreciate them (and don't ever forget to appreciate them while you can).

You're as strong as you say you are in every moment, of every second, of every day. You may not be as happy, as positive, or as peaceful... but you're always as strong.

Good luck,
    ~ CB

3. Cloudane macrumors 68000

Cloudane

To be honest I've never really had anything majorly bad happen to me (touch wood), so I tend to remain upbeat.

I have little time for people who are "emo" i.e. act all depressed and have no real reason to do so, like "boohoo the person I'm attracted to doesn't like me back / I'm only on a salary of £12.5K / whatever... the world is out to get me" (and I do know a couple of people like this) but I acknowledge there are people who have genuine reasons to be depressed or have clinical depression which is another story entirely.

I'm not one to judge a person I don't know... what I will say is, try to focus on the positive things in your life :) Also remember that there is probably someone out there in a worse situation than yourself, and be thankful you're not one of them. There are people in this world who would do *anything* to have "iPhone vs. iPod Touch" as one of their main worries in place of war/starvation/illness etc ;) Not attacking, it's just a suggestion as it's how I handle things if I feel a little down.

If you do feel depressed for no reason frequently, it might be worth checking it out with your GP as there could be a geniune reason behind it.

4. stomer macrumors 6502a

I have a few tricks for dealing with things, or not, depending on what the problem is and context. 3 things that keep me in a positive frame of mind:

Essentially, I only concern myself with things that I can directly influence, if I have no control over a situation then I don't spend time worrying about it. If I feel I that I do have control over something, then I take action, or conveniently forget about it or put it on my list of long term issues (see below).

I also tend to focus on short term issues, and rarely let long term issues bother me. This stops me from being overwhelmed by things.

If I do find myself a bit down about something, I take comfort from the fact that it's only temporary and that things will be better in the future.

5. redAPPLE thread starter macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

actually, i don't think i have a depressive condition.

it is more like, nothing is going my way and it has been a while since i got a break.

but again, i am not going to run and shoot people. it is just frustrating and thought of venting here. maybe get people to talk about it.

6. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

I take prozac on a regular basis; it gives me a nice artificial sense of well being; however, I admire anyone who has the courage to face everyday reality without pharmaceutical assistance.

7. Doylem macrumors 68040

Doylem

If anyone is feeling down... or stressed... or overworked... or overwhelmed... or worse... emotional support is available 24/7, 365 days a year, by emailing jo@samaritans.org

8. angelneo macrumors 68000

I think I can relate a little, I used to run my own business and was employed with someone else at the same time. Those times are crazy, running out at lunch time to meet clients, rushing deadline for my boss, get crazier when my own company have deadlines (with multiple assignments) together with my own job. Things get screwed up, you might people yelling at you for something, while you got some more stuff to answer to.

Those times when I feel I can't handle it, I will take a 15 mins walk, without my mobile, sit down in a quiet place and try to sort out myself.

I agree with Cleverboy, and whatever you are going through now will only make you stronger in the future.

9. Shotglass macrumors 65816

Shotglass

I feel your pain. I've been going through major depression for about half a year now. I suck at school because my parents put me under loads of stress about little things. I can't get anything right, I'm failing loads of classes because I'm too stressed out. And insomnia. Which my parents blame on me and my "sleeping habits". Anyway, I get baaaad grades, and then my parents complain about my "performance in school". It's starting to really break me.
    I don't quite know how to cope with this kind of stuff, especially since I realized that I've been going through it for basically all my life, I've just been denying it. I definitely will try cleverboy's approach, but I doubt anything but therapy will help at this point.

10. letsgorangers macrumors 6502

It's always darkest before the dawn...

Yes.

My general form of stress relief is working out. And I focus only on my breathing so nothing else can enter my mind. It really helps to sort myself out.

I would suggest taking some time off and letting yourself relax. I know that this isn't always a feasible option, so if you can't do this, then just set aside a few minutes a day to sit alone in the quiet and just breathe.

I think Cleverboy imparted some great words of wisdom. I think that positive thinking can have a profound effect on the human condition. But I do believe there are things in this world that a person can experience that simple positivity will not fix. I was taking 3 muscle relaxers a day (+ pain killers) and I was still not sleeping and having 3 migraines a week (and chronic headaches the rest of the time). No amount of positivity, strength, or higher thinking could have fixed that. What did fix it? Anti-depressants. They remove the headache aspect out of my life, and as a result, I can function physically and mentally. Not only does this not make me weak, but it makes me exceptionally strong because I was able to come to terms with the fact that I couldn't fix this by myself.

Stay strong (by whatever means possible).

11. todd2000 macrumors 68000

I know how you feel, there are times when I just break down and randomly start crying, and just don't feel like doing anything. My Mother passed away 2 years ago, and I was forced (basically) to move 500 miles away from my "home" to VA. I miss home, and my Friends. I don't have too many, but the few I do have are like family to me. And as if dealing with my Mother passing, and being very homesick wasn't enough, Im also struggling with some personal issues, the main one being that Im Gay and still haven't come out to most people (except my really close friends), and Im not sure if I can and how they'll react. So I know how you feel, but just try to think positive (as hard as that may be.) Also IMO friends are very important, Just having someone who you can talk to about your problems, who you know will be there for you helps A LOT.

I hope you get things sorted out, and I feel your pain.