Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

asif786

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 17, 2004
London, UK.
hey,

so i was just wondering..does anyone else ever get this feeling:

you've been working on a project for hours on end without saving it (like a douchebag) on imovie or fcp or dreamweaver, or anything.) anyway, you do something and you get the beachball. for the next 10 seconds you're on the edge of your seat thinking 'damn, is it gonna unexpectedly quit..sometimes it does, sometimes it doesnt.

i just had this happen to me today. i had like 4 safari windows each with 10 tabs that i'd been accumulating over the past 7/8 hours..and then boom..gone. trés annoying.

anyway, i just wanted to post and see if anyone else can relate with my weird..fears.. :confused: :rolleyes:

Soulstorm

macrumors 68000
Feb 1, 2005
yeap, I can say that in some cases we share the same fears.

It has happened to me twice, I was working and I was doing a serious work. But I forgot to save my prograss for a while. So the application hang up and I lost appprox 2 hours of my work.

That's why I save all the time now.

dubbz

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2003
Alta, Norway
It's happened. Whenever the app I'm working in crash or freeze totally it's like a punch in the face. My heart just pause, and I stop breathing for a while.

It's not like it's the end of the world (although for a few seconds it feels like it), and it's always just been pet-projects I've been working on. But I've still spent countless hours on it, and it still sucks. And I still have to do it all over again. With a little less enthusiasm.

I try to learn to save more often, but sometimes you're just so caught up in your work and so concentrated that you just forget about it...

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
As a result of years of this kind of thing (and the instability of OS9) I save pathologically, now--I actually have to supress the desire to hit "command-s" while typing a post like this, and I still do it on occasion.

In my case, when I get that feeling is less often from the beachball while working than from when I've just done something, and realize that it might not have been what I wanted to do--like deleted a folder, then realizing that maybe that WASN'T the one I had backed up elsewhere. There's little worse than that sick, sinking feeling in your chest from screwing up on a computer.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
The fact that it doesn't happen often makes it that much more annoying. :eek:
I grow accustomed to everything just working (unlike my XP box at work), and then when something does happen its like... huh?, that's not supposed to happen, and why did it have to happen NOW! :(

Woof, Woof - Dawg
ga_helmet.gif

jimsowden

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2003
NY
asif786 said:
you've been working on a project for hours on end without saving it (like a douchebag)
I believe that is the technical term, thanks for the clarification.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
That feeling is often preceded by the vague thought:
"Gee, it's kinda dumb to do this, something bad could happen" -- AS you are going ahead and doing "this" anyway. Pay attention to those little feelings - learn to take your hands off the keyboard/mouse/screwdriver and stop and evaluate just what is going on, before you proceed.

Done the wrong thing too many times to count...

dubbz

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2003
Alta, Norway
Makosuke said:
There's little worse than that sick, sinking feeling in your chest from screwing up on a computer.

Like when prior/during/after to my Tiger installation I:

1. Moved all the files to my PC.
2. Took a break from the computer for a few hours.
3. Came back. Moved the files back from the PC to the Mac.
4. Did a clean totally-erase-everything install of Tiger
7. After seeing the new, clean, Tiger desktop, get a feeling that I just did something very, very stupid.

Sometimes I shouldn't be allowed near a computer...

stevietheb

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2004
Houston
Happened many times with Windows 2000 -- only once since switching to Mac. I was working on a paper and Mellel quit on me...luckily it backs up every so often, so I only lost about a paragraph of text.

Funny how I haven't learned my lesson.

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
CanadaRAM said:
That feeling is often preceded by the vague thought:
"Gee, it's kinda dumb to do this, something bad could happen" -- AS you are going ahead and doing "this" anyway. Pay attention to those little feelings - learn to take your hands off the keyboard/mouse/screwdriver and stop and evaluate just what is going on, before you proceed.

Done the wrong thing too many times to count...

HAHAHA! I SO know the feeling!

The most recent incident is with iMovie, I was caught up in editing a little movie I made (I usually use FCE, but I was a bit lazy, and it was just a little movie with a few transitions, that's all). I was almost done when the program decided to go and crash on me. Luckily for me, I was able to salvage all of my work out of the trash the next time I started the program up, so I only lost a little time dragging them back into the timeline.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.