Ever heard of replacing Back Plastic shell on a 3GS??

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by itsjared, Jun 2, 2010.

1. itsjared macrumors regular

itsjared

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Its a hard procedure but doable.
    Shouldnt attempt unless you're experienced with taking electronics apart. Theres tons of things that can go wrong.

3. Snaz macrumors newbie

I have no experience with a 3GS, but I bought a white 16GB and after a few months (granted, I did drop it a few times) the back started looking really bad, covered with dings and scuffs, and the white was no longer "white" but it was just "off white".
    I purchased a black cover from ebay and made the switch myself. The most difficult part was the battery, as it is glued to the back of the case, and the last part you take off. So you go through ALOT of work, only to get to the battery and you have to gently try and pull it off the cse without rupturing anything inside. Don't mess around replacing the case unless you know what you're doing. It can result in damaging your iphone. Not to mention your warranty will be void if you replace the cover yourself.
    Goodluck though.

4. itsjared thread starter macrumors regular

itsjared

yeah, i'm kinda up in the air on what to do. it needs a new glass and also could stand a new case. I'm just trying to get it looking good enough to sell on CL.

5. Snaz macrumors newbie

I assume you want to sell to upgrade to the 4G, and though I don't know what your financial situation is, here is my suggestion:

Keep it.
    If you want to upgrade, keep the 3GS as backup becvause they simply aren't worth the time selling them 2nd hand..
    It is a BIG hassle changing those parts and I'm not sure the money/hour/parts you'd be spending would be worth it in the long run.

6. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

thats a load of Bull!!
    you can get big money for the 3gs regardless of condition. while it is not easy to change the parts you should be able to find a reputable repair shop in your area and have them do it. but if money is not an issue keeping it as a back up is not a bad idea.