Ever Notice?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by BilltheCat, Apr 29, 2007.

1. BilltheCat macrumors regular

BilltheCat

Ever notice that when you have an external drive mounted or a thumb drive mounted that when you put the computer to sleep it wakes back up in just a short time?

I have and didnt know what to think. So I ejected the ext and thumb and tried again. It stayed asleep!

I wonder why?

2. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

I've never had a problem sleeping my computer with Firewire externals mounted. Maybe it's the thumb drive sending some kind of signal over USB that's the problem.

3. BilltheCat thread starter macrumors regular

BilltheCat

Thanks KM. Im using Firewire on the ext drive. No OS there just HPFS formatted as a backup drive for docs, pics, etc and a backup file.

The thumb is USB yes. I even tried ejecting just it only and pulling it out. The imac still wakes back up in about a minute.

I havent tried it the other way yet. no harm but weird.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I don't think this is normal. Is there a possibility something about your FW drive is waking the Mac? I tried my USB drive on both my iBook and iMac and do not experience this.

5. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

i don't know about thumb drives and external hard drives, but my computer acts funny when i put it to sleep with my ipod shuffle connected. what's interesting is that it never used to do that with my g5.

6. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

this is odd. i can have my thumb drive or any external connected and mounted and it'll sleep without a problem.

perhaps the enclosure isn't spinning the drive down properly or some such so it wakes the computer up again?

7. BilltheCat thread starter macrumors regular

BilltheCat

dunno. when I get home from work tonight I will try powering down the drive case entirely after unmounting. It isnt gonna worry me too much but I have been totally powering down the computer because of it.

Sometimes it goes to screen saver but not always. and it never goes to power down of the screen as it should. I havent tried all that with the thumb and ext unmounted and powered down yet. but will.

8. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

might want to try ticking off the "Put Hard Disks to Sleep" box in System Prefs>Energy Saver

9. BilltheCat thread starter macrumors regular

BilltheCat

I think it is. I guessed that either the drive was waking it up (ext) or something from the network polling. Brighthouse RoadRunner likes to poll a lot. makes you think you are downloading or uploading all the time.

10. CaptainHaddock macrumors 6502

If I unmount my FW drives and put my Macbook Pro to sleep, I can hear it wake up again for a minute when I unplug the drives and my keyboard. I've no idea why.