ever possible to upgrade processor in a mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by 2ms, Jan 18, 2009.

1. 2ms macrumors 6502

I got a new MBP with the basic 2.4GHz processor that doesn't have as much cache as the fancier mobile Core2Duo processors. I've got the new DDR3 Nvidia platform. It's just the processor is a bit slow. Basically, my computer feels about the same speed as my 2 year old iMac. It's definitely slower sometimes and maybe a little snappier other times.

Anyway, I was just wondering if I'm really absolutely stuck with this processor forever.

Is there any chance I would one day be able to replace the processor with a nicer Core2Duo of the same generation just with higher clockrate and larger cache?

2. SteveMobs macrumors 6502

SteveMobs

I don't know a lot about the specifics of this subject, but it's probably the best answer you'll get at 1 AM.

I don't think you can switch processors easily. If you've ever built a computer you'll notice that certain motherboards go with certain processors. This would probably be true for the mac you're talking about. So if you'd want to make a significant processor upgrade, you'd need to change to a different motherboard.

I think.

3. Christa Pho macrumors newbie

Hmmm...
    In theory, it should be possible to upgrade the processor as long as it uses the same socket interface.

However, there will probably be some type of complications with the motherboard, especially a mac's motherboard.

That said, it would be pretty retarded to upgrade a processor on a Mac (on any motherboard really), and you need to have a very intuitive knowledge of hardware to mess with a Mac, and I'll assume you don't considering the question you asked above.

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

No. You would have to replace the entire logic board.

5. 2ms thread starter macrumors 6502

Why would you have to replace the entire logic board?

6. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Because both the GPU and CPU are soldered on.

7. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Yep, no socket on a surface mount BGA.

Since there aren't as many places to buy the surface mount versions of the Intel mobile CPUs -- it is a bit tougher to find, along with finding somebody that has a BGA rework station to swap the CPUs for you.

All that for an extra 1-2mm in sleekness.

8. old-wiz macrumors G3

and your support chips and firmware might not be happy about it either. waste of time as they are soldered on by machine.

9. ikermalli macrumors 6502a

RAM would help for speed more than a processor, if your processor isn't being used to 100% then it can handle on the processes, RAM makes the processes speedy though.