Ever say, "I would never let that happen to me" and be Oh So Wrong...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by SamIchi, Apr 10, 2008.

1. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

Feeling kind of down, I remember back when I was a kid and thinking, wow, there are some big time losers out there. Crappy job, no direction, 20 sumthin' going no where. Well here I am, 24, crappy job (not a bad job just not great paying), with 4 yrs of community college credits under my belt. I will be going to school next year to get my BA, but that will take me another 4 years most likely. So I'm looking at the age of 28 before I actually start a career. Totally gets me down. I know a lot of you will say, you're still young, but it kills me inside when I think about it.

2. joekix macrumors 6502

joekix

if you're transferring, why is going to take you another 4 years to graduate?

i was at a jc for 4 years, but once i got to a university, i was out of there in 2 years with my b.a.

i ended going back to school and now have a m.a.

take it seriously, and you'll be fine. i can't believe i was in junior college for 4 years. it was fun, but there were semesters where i would end up with only 1 class because i had to drop everything else. lol

3. SamIchi thread starter macrumors 68030

SamIchi

The major I'm going into and the classes I was taking at CC don't really work out. I didn't really plan stuff out that great either. So I'm at where I'm at.

4. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

I reckon there's plenty of people in the world, in the country and probably on your block worse off than you are, so take some comfort in that...

5. Xfujinon macrumors 6502

Some perspective:

I won't finish medical school until I am 28. That means I have never had a job, or a career, prior to this.

Then, I won't finish even the shortest residency until I am 30 or 31. Still, no real career to speak of.

Supposing I decide to do a Fellowship or a Subspecialization, I'm looking at 34 or 35 before I begin to get a real job.

35 > 28, and in that amount of time you will have probably developed a stronger financial situation and everything else. True, doctors tend to make good money when they are done, but some of them don't get DONE until they are 40. Most of my friends have houses, nice cars, yards, excellent vacations, nice 401k's, excellent financial investment systems, and here I am being a perpetual student.

Point is, 28 ain't so bad. Crap, the average age of an entering graduate student in my program here at Iowa is 31, so you're doing pretty good! No way your undergrad will take 4 years, talk to a counselor and make some plans. Keep your head together and you'll pull away just fine. One or two courses each summer can knock a semester or two off in a hurry!

Best wishes, and keep positive: you HAVE a job, you are making money with which to develop a sound financial foundation if you plan wisely, and you have goals. Doesn't sound like a loser to me at all.

6. joekix macrumors 6502

joekix

you have a cool website. :)

7. shecky Guest

shecky

life is not a race. if it was, the finish line is dying.

life is about the journey. its not about how fast you run it.

8. SamIchi thread starter macrumors 68030

SamIchi

Very true, but personally, in my situation, I feel that I've wasted a lot of time.

Thanks

Thanks for your perspective, but I think we can make an exception for doctors, that's totally different. But I do see what you're getting at.

Ahh, I guess you could look at it that way.