Ever see the dock do this?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by rogersmj, Mar 20, 2008.

1. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

I just noticed this a little while ago on my iMac...the dock's background seems to have mostly vanished and the reflections are super-strong. I have no dock customization software installed. I'm sure a reboot will fix it (I always have a lot of stuff running so I can't reboot right now) but I just wanted to see if anyone else had experienced this bug.

Attached Files:

2. eyephone macrumors member

Yes I have, if I typically sleep, wake, sleep wake for a week or so I will notice this upon wakeup, and it will not return to the correct dock untill I restart. I actually like the dock like that! But it is definitely a bug. I have the 20" imac aluminum 2.4, running 10.5.2 with graphics updates.

3. BlakTornado Guest

BlakTornado

Yes. It used to happen to me.

Which version of 10.5 are you using?

10.5.2 seemed to fix it for me.

4. Ol!ver macrumors 6502a

5. hollerz macrumors 6502a

hollerz

Happened to me loads after a few sleep/wake cycles, only a reboot will fix it! Although come to think of it, I don't think it's happened since 10.5.2.

6. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

what's up with the 2 different Safari icons? 1 silver and 1 gold.

7. Viremia macrumors regular

Looks like one of them (the gold) is for Webkit

8. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

I originally mod'ed my Dock so I may not be any help. However, my Dock randomly returns to a white frosted Dock and fixes itself in a few minutes. I use the hide/show feature.

So as to not Restart use the following command in Terminal:

killall Dock

9. montycat macrumors 6502

montycat

This happens to me also if I dont restart it for a few days. MC

10. rogersmj thread starter macrumors 68020

rogersmj

That's interesting...I do have 10.5.2, but I never sleep my iMac -- it's on 24/7. This just happened out of the blue.

11. rogersmj thread starter macrumors 68020

rogersmj

Yes, I usually run WebKit nightly as my primary browser. However, the latest FireFox 3 Beta 4 is quite impressive, so I may switch to that.

12. ::Lisa:: macrumors 6502a

::Lisa::

It occasionally happens to me after I have been playing The Sims 2 for some time and see that after I quit it. Yep, a reboot fixes for me too.

13. serpico macrumors regular

serpico

I was trying to do research on this until I found this thread. It's hard to explain but mine happens after a few days of sleep & awake modes. Very weird. After a restart it goes back to normal. The Terminal command didn't work for me seems a restart is the only way to get it fixed.

14. boffinboy macrumors newbie

boffinboy

I just get the whole dock vanishing sometimes after wake from sleep. I just wanted to report that the terminal command above brought it back to life without the need to restart - so thanks!

Also thought I had better mention that without a dock I could still start applications using Quicksilver (hot-key + first few letters of application name) which was reassuring as I have a lot open and it would be a pain to restart.

(Edit. Vanished Dock probably symptom of other flakiness (scrambled icons, fonts changing on the fly. Thought I'd better get out quick and restart :eek:)