Ever Seen a Black MacBook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MattZani, Jan 5, 2009.

1. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

My MacBook Pro has a small dent on the bottom, and i was thinking in a few months of getting it fixed. If i fix it myself, then it will require a total Strip Down, as the Bottom is pretty much the last peice.

Now here's the interesting part. Aluminium can be anodized, making a perfect smooth coating thats very thin, and there are a few places that offer this service near me. I would also Dye the Plastic Joints Black (If they come loose from the Metal)

Has anyone seen a Black MacBook Pro? ColorWare, or other wise, as other than mock ups, i cannot find one. Obviously the track pad and keypad will be staying silver, so i would want to see real pictures of a black MBP with silver trackpad and Keyboard if possible.

Of course, this is all just an idea, it would be great, but im not sure if i want to strip my MacBook Pro down to nothing, and im not sure if i should take out AppleCare (Or if i got them to fit the parts, if it could still be under warranty....?)

2. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

When i went to the US i visited this company that gold plated them using the anodising process, ive also seen them painted gold using the same method cars are spray painted (electrostatic). It actually looks really good (in terms of how the paint looks on the aluminium) but its not for me.

3. MattZani thread starter macrumors 68030

MattZani

Im not thinking something elaborate, just to increase the wow factor, and to make it my own. Im also thinking its not going to cost much, as it will be industrial places doing it.

Another thought is to have the outside case black, and keep the inside case stock, when its closed it looks like a black MacBook Pro, when open i dont get the KB and Track Pad sticking out....

4. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

its actually quite hard to do by the way, especially the screen and around the apple logo. youll need lots of double sided tape.

5. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Just thought I'd mention that the MBP is already anodized so we did know that.

6. MattZani thread starter macrumors 68030

MattZani

Well Done Smart Ar$e. What i mean is that Anodization is possible, which will give a much better finish than painting, and add very little thickness, if any at all.

The Next thing is, if the Top was Engraved after it was Anodized, would the Metal underneath be silver? I Can't remember if Anodizing changed the colour all the way through (I Would think not). If it came through silver, then i may even engrave it....

7. soLoredd macrumors 6502a

Mine is black.

I use a black Speck hardshell case.
    :p

8. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Anodization is a surface treatment, so any engraving will show. if you have the facilities locally go for it your Pro will be unique.

Biggest problem I see is the keyboard, if you are going to try and change the colour,

Q-6

9. drummerlondonw3 macrumors 6502a

drummerlondonw3

I like the sound of the whole outer case being black sounds cool. I have seen several hardcases and personally I dont like the look but I could see this being very individual

please post pics if you do!

D:apple:

10. Glueeater macrumors regular

If I'm not mistaken, they anodize the aluminum used on the products...

11. svndmvn Guest

I googled laser etched MacBook Pros and it looks like the "drawings" are white, so I guess if you laser etched the black anodized MBP it would look awesome, depending on what you want to draw, obviously, it should be black & white, I doubt there would be any silver, but it probably also depends on the strength of the laser.

12. minijon macrumors member

Picture the opposite of the new grey iPod nano. I think it would look great.

13. darngooddesign macrumors G3

I wonder how it would look to have the top lid colored black to match the bezel.

14. svndmvn Guest

i think the OP is not talking about a unibody

15. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Yeah! Here (colorware), blow a few hundred quid and have your own unique look!

16. MattZani thread starter macrumors 68030

MattZani

Or Buy a new Bottom Case for ~£60, Anodize and Etch will probably cost £40 total.

Smoother finish, better look.

17. MattZani thread starter macrumors 68030

MattZani

Cue Really Dodgy Photoshop Mock Up!

[​IMG]

This is the idea for the etch, 5 Aces, in a fan shape, with the middle top Ace being an Apple Logo Suit, and the Apple Logo is the main picture on the card. I've always liked the iconic symbol that is the Ace of Spades, all the aces etc, so really like this design, i think it incorporates the apple logo well too.

Cant decide if i want something around the edge though....

Any thoughts?

18. darngooddesign macrumors G3

The etch will just be a different shade of grey so the Apple logo will stand out. I think it would look better as a decal.

19. MattZani thread starter macrumors 68030

MattZani

Have you read the rest of the thread?

Im not having no decal, Black Anodized, then Etched. Etch appears a white silver, rest is black. I Dont mind if the colour isnt perfect, i want it etched.

Here's a ColorWare Mock Up, the silver inside isnt the right silver, its a ColorWare colour.

[​IMG]

20. MattZani thread starter macrumors 68030

MattZani

Sorry for the double post, but have just thought of a few things.

1. The Apple Logo, can it be removed from the Top Case Section? How is it secured in? I Couldn't find a picture of the inside of the top case.
    2. The Battery, obviously i cant Anodize the assembled battery, and im pretty sure disassembling it is dangerous, but how dangerous....? Any idea's how i can make it black? Or should i keep it silver (Not going to see it anyway)
    3. Plastic in the ports on the bottom case section, and the foam inside the Slot Loader, is that on the case, or the drive?
    4. Will plastic be ok going through the anodizing? I Know its not a boiling solution, and the metal pieces are only covered because of the negative charge placed on it, so in theory, the plastic should be ok....?

Thanks for any help.

21. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Yes, and you asked for our thoughts.

Can you even anodize on top of Apple's anodizing? If you strip the silver anodizing will it sill look good anodized?

22. MattZani thread starter macrumors 68030

MattZani

I imagine the Anodizing already in place will be stripped, to reveal bare metal, then re-anodized.

As Anodizing is a chemical process (With Electricity) it will always come out the same thickness, and even and smooth.

23. MattZani thread starter macrumors 68030

MattZani

Double Post again.

Spent some time on the Etch Design tonight, realised the way the cards were spread wouldnt work, so had a rethink, also did it alot neater this time, and spent ages aligning, only to mess it all up!

[​IMG]

I Really like this, and even if the Anodizing doesnt go to plan (I Really hope it does) I'll still probably etch this on. :D

24. Nukemkb macrumors 6502a

Nukemkb