Ever seen this disaster happening on your MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iPersian, Jun 9, 2013.

1. iPersian macrumors regular

Ive still got a 2006 model and for 2 years it has been acting strangely by freezing everyday. Its either black screen suddenly showing up, or freeze or as this picture tries to illustrate, a freeza that makes the picture slowly "disintegrate" on onto lines and artifacts before the whole screen becomes gray.

every single freeze is hard one that i have to press the shut down button.

i have a hunch that its the gpu.

i know that this one is old, im waiting for a decent MBPr to be released. im wondering if you know if there is a fix or if you have experienced anything like this.

Attached Files:

2. B... macrumors 68000

B...

3. \-V-/ Suspended

\-V-/

A big THIS.

4. iPersian thread starter macrumors regular

it has been like this for 2-3 years. think the more i use graphics/3d that heats it up the more frequently does it happen. sometimes every 10 minutes.

any way to fix it ? by replacing gpu for instance?

5. B... macrumors 68000

B...

LB replacement. Probably won't even take it at the Apple Store anymore. Woud be too expensive to put in anyway IMO (maybe $500+).

6. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

Agreed it looks like a GPU problem.

Have you talked with Apple about it? There were nVidia GPU problems that involved replacements... who knows, you might get lucky.

7. omgitscro macrumors 6502a

omgitscro

I believe the nVidia replacement program ended sometime this year. You can try going to an Apple Retail location anyway, but I don't think they're obligated to do anything at all. Try calling AppleCare first.

8. iPersian thread starter macrumors regular

9. omgitscro macrumors 6502a

omgitscro

Try calling AppleCare. Unfortunately it might be a bit too late at this point unless they happen to have replacement parts after 7 years; did you try calling two years ago when this first happened?

10. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

Since it seems to happen when it heats up have you opened up the case and cleaned out all the dust? Might keep it cool enough to work.

11. dmn8 macrumors member

You can also run SMC fan control and kick up the speed of fans to help the cooling. It has extended the life of our white iMac. That is until the fans die...

12. Chuck-Norris macrumors 6502a