EverDock

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Bako-MacAddict, Dec 21, 2013.

1. Bako-MacAddict macrumors 68000

Bako-MacAddict

Just received my EverDock from a kick starter campaign ! I just have to say I'm impress ...
    Matches my gold iphone perfectly = )

(Sorry for upside down pic)

Attached Files:

2. Bako-MacAddict thread starter macrumors 68000

Bako-MacAddict

Another shot.

Attached Files:

3. thelead macrumors 6502

Do you have the apple leather case? I would love to see how much space is left under the phone when docked. I don't like a dock where the phone wobbles.

4. JNGold macrumors 6502a

JNGold

I picked mine up in Steel Grey. I removed the rubber bases as I use slim cases on both the iPad Air (Poetic ThinShell), and iPhone (Incipio Feather).

Attached Files:

5. thelead macrumors 6502

That iPhone is being held up by the cable essentially.

I would order one if the iPhone actually sat on the dock and not the cable.

6. JNGold macrumors 6502a

JNGold

Fuz Designs has already confirmed that they are making thinner silicon inserts to support thin cases.

7. C0SM0 macrumors member

I got my EverDock in silver. So far I like it better than my Elevation Dock.

Does anyone else have problems charging an iPad using the USB extension cable?

My iPhone 5 charges fine, but when I dock my iPad Air, it says "Not Charging".

A few people have mentioned this in the Kickstarter comments as well. Is anyone here having that problem?

8. JNGold macrumors 6502a

JNGold

I get that message sometimes as well but only when the iPad is 100% charged, otherwise no issues charging here.

9. DonnyXMX macrumors member

DonnyXMX

Make sure your using the iPad charger. If it's plugged into your computer you will get that message.

10. C0SM0 macrumors member

Thanks all. I did discover that I only get the message when plugged into my Mac. The charger works fine.

Fuz responded on Kickstarter and stated that if the iPad only receives 10 watts (like from an old charger or using a USB port with the extension), it will give you the message even though it does still slowly charge.

I can confirm that this is correct. I placed my ipad in the dock and left it for a while, and the battery percentage has gone up, regardless of the no charging message.

Thanks again for the replies. Happy Holidays :)

11. DonnyXMX macrumors member

DonnyXMX

That is true. It still charges, just very slowly.

12. SaintsMac macrumors 6502

Got mine in as well. I have to say it is very nice.
    I am looking forward to the new thinner inserts for a better fit with the Apple case.

13. ac921ol macrumors regular

So you cant have a case on the phone with the rubber insert. (but they are making a thinner one)

is this correct??

can people take better pictures of the backside/underside.

thanks I am interested in having one of these on my bed side table, also when you disconnect your phone does the Dock lift up with the phone?? or do you have some sort of tape on the bottom?

14. linds15 macrumors 6502a

can you comment on what you like better? i was going to pick up a second elevation dock and have been considering this too

15. C0SM0 macrumors member

For starters I love the micro-suction bottom. The dock adheres very well and doesn't lift when undocking my devices. This works much better than my elevation dock. I also really like that the everdock actually has back support. I'm not sure about recent elevation docks, but my iPhone is only supported by the cable...it doesn't touch the back. I emailed them about it and they said it is a known issue that may be fixed in the future. Finally, it is also nice to be able to use the everdock with my iPhone and iPad.

If you have any other questions, let me know.

16. The Flying Kite macrumors regular

If you are not using a case, you use the thicker silicone insert (the one that shipped with the EverDock).
    If you are using a thin case, you use the thinner insert that hasn't been made yet.
    If you use a thicker than thin (not necessarily Otterbox Defender thickness) case, you don't use any silicone insert.

The dock uses a micro-suction pad that works very well at keeping the dock on the surface it is sitting on while the device is being undocked. In my experience, it does not lift at all when either my iPad or my iPhone are undocked.

17. 24hrpizza macrumors member

18. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

I ordered two. A single for work and a dual for home.

The good:

Solid build.

Sticks solidly to most surfaces via micro suction, and doesn't lift up when you remove the device.

The bad:

As mentioned, it doesn't work well with thin cases. The forthcoming thinner silicone spacer should remedy that, but it's adding another month to the wait.

Lightning plug fits a little loosely and wobbles, even if you pull the cord super tight.

When you press the Lightning cable into the base, the little teeth they've milled to hold the cable in place chew up your cable. If you remove the cable a few times, I imagine it would cut the white sheath all the way thru.

The dual dock's two slots are ridiculously close together. Not sure why. There's so much room behind the second slot, they could have moved it back a bit. As it is, it's tricky to slide your phone into the narrow space, and upon pulling it out, you can easily scratch the screen on the back of the metal in front of it.

It's like they built a sedan, but put the back seat so far forward that the car becomes a coupe, with a big dead space behind the back seat.

19. JNGold, Jan 12, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2014

JNGold macrumors 6502a

JNGold

I removed my cord more than several times trying to situate it properly and had no issues. I don't suspect this should be considered a "con" since it is a dock and folks probably won't be removing the cord with any frequency.

Hmmm... As my pics show above, I dock my iPad Air in the second slot and have no issues with any part of the screen touching the front rear section. Even plugging in the iPhone 5 (with thin case) isn't a issue (in or out) since you are putting in the phone with the lightning connector as guidance and pulling the phone straight up from the connection taking it out.

While I agree there could have been some more space consideration given to each slot, I wouldn't say it should give anyone pause from considering this dock if they have multiple device charging needs.

And yes, I am looking forward to the thinner inserts as I use a Elago Breathe on my iPhone and a Poetic (Red) ThinShell on my Air. :)

20. rasputin666 macrumors member

rasputin666

If i see the picture right, there are still 2 cables coming out of the duo and connecting to the mac right? i would like to see a dock that has 2 slots for ipad/iphone but only one USB to the mac. do they even exist? i've been searching for the past hour :)

21. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

Even if it was possible the devices will charges extremely slowly. A typical computer USB port has about 0.5 amps of output. An iPhone needs 1 amp to charge and an iPad needs 2 amps to charge. The USB port needs 600% more power to do what you want it to do, unless you get a wall charger that has a 3 amp max output from 1 USB port.