Everex gpc for file server?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by isthisonetaken, Dec 20, 2007.

1. isthisonetaken macrumors regular

Hey all,

So, I'm running low on space on my 500GB external, and I was thinking instead of buying more externals, it might be better to get a cheap pc tower that has room for more internal drives. I found this Everex gpc, it's at Walmart for $199. It has tons of room inside and seems to be good for power consumption and such.

All I'm wondering is... Has anyone here ever used Gos? I know it's a distro of Linux. I'm wondering how hard it would be to configure to become a file server. I would like to hook it right into my airport extreme base station with ethernet and let all the wireless clients get the files off it. Would that be hard to set up on Gos?

Also, since it has a PCI slot, I could get a wireless card for it. Then would it be possible to hook it directly into my iMac, as a sort of giant external hard drive? And let it share wirelessly with the other computers in my house?

Thanks for the help guys and Merry Christmas!

2. wightstraker macrumors regular

I don't know much about that distro, but the only consistent way I've been able to share files between desktop Linux and OS X is via ssh mac side, which can be a hassle. Getting rid of Gos and installing Ubuntu Server might be a more useful option, as you'll be able to set up a ftp/sftp server pretty easily.

Note that Ubuntu Server doesn't come with a GUI by default, but if you know your terminal that shouldn't be a problem. You could always install a DE later (aptitude install xubuntu-desktop for a lightweight GUI).

Also, why not consider one of these?