Evernote for school

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by kage207, May 12, 2014.

1. kage207 macrumors 6502a

Greetings, I was wondering if you any of our users here at MacRumors uses Evernote for taking notes in school. If you do, I was wondering how you used it? If you don't use it, I'd like to get your feedback.

The reason I'm asking is because of a web application I am making plans to utilize the Evernote API. I needed some information in terms of how many people use Evernote and how they use it. I also ask if you do use Evernote, that if I could possible get some exports of your notes so I can analyze the structure of them more and see how people take notes.

The application requires me to really study how people use Evernote to take notes and it would benefit me a lot. You do not need to include any personal information if you don't want to. If you do, just please tell me your grade level and what courses you use it for. Note, you do NOT have to give me any personal any information but it could be beneficial for me in my analysis.

---------------------------------

If you do NOT use Evernote, I'd like to know what application you use and how yo use it. Note that this application might not make use of it but it can help me analyze how people take notes, in terms of the structure.

---------------------------------

This is really important for me to analyze the structure of how people and students take their notes. I'm needing this information as I need to be able to test an algorithm to run through notes and generate information. So the more notes I have, the better.

Thank you for all your help in advance. If you have ANY questions what so ever please let me know so I can address them. This application is for my capstone project and I would really appreciate it.

Thanks.

2. 556fmjoe macrumors 65816

556fmjoe

Disclaimer: I'm not using OS X, but you might find this useful anyway

I have tried many methods of note taking with my PowerBook.

I used Leafpad (really nice, simple GTK+ text editor) for my notes this semester, but found that I was getting headaches from the white background with black text. I get migraines pretty easily and this was hard on my eyes.

I changed the background on my terminal to a gray brushed steel image and made the text a somewhat lighter shade of black. This seems to be much easier on the eyes and I haven't had any issues since then. I plant to use nano from the terminal to take notes now. We'll see how it goes.

As far as structure is concerned, my notes mostly follow a mostly uniform pattern similar to handwritten notes. I'm a PoliSci major, so most of what I take notes about is pretty straightforward text only and follows a logical progression from one thought to the next. I'm not doing math, science, or drawing diagrams and charts with it.

Main idea
    -Detail relating to main idea
    -Another detail
    Main idea 2
    -etc...

If you want the text of the notes in the file pictured below, I'd be happy to post it

Attached Files:

3. magnumpi macrumors member

I've been an Evernote user for years but lately I've switched to Onenote because of its more powerful editing capabilities. I'm a power electronics engineer and I need to be able to put together a lot of stuff from different sources (pictures, graphs, meassurements...) when I'm conducting my tests + some math stuff related to the ongoing test so I can get a clear picture of what the test was about when I check it weeks later. I could use a word processing app but they aren't as flexible as Onenote is.

I still use Evernote for simple notes, to store stuff grabbed from the internet and because a lot of iPhone/iPad apps integrate with it. It's just convenient to have it around.

4. kage207 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Is there any way I could get your Evernote Notes in an ENML format? I would greatly appreciate it as I would like to start testing my algorithm. I would also appreciate a description of the structure of your notes.

I'm trying to get feedback about other applications people use so I can prioritize (besides Evernote) where we import our data from to generate some information.

Thank you so much. This has helped and another possible resource to look into. Please let me know, do you by chance bold your definitions, or use order lists to describe steps or a process? Do you use un-order list to list properties? If you do what is the format?

Thanks

5. 556fmjoe, May 13, 2014
    Last edited: May 13, 2014

556fmjoe macrumors 65816

556fmjoe

I use ordered lists for an idea that has a specific number of subtopics or supporting details. I use un-ordered lists for a topic with many details, but only several that I need to focus on.

For example:

The formatting got thrown off by the quote tags, but each subtopic is indented.

6. kage207 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks, I appreciate it!

If anyone else is willing to contribute that would be really great. I need the data so I can test parsing the notes. I either need to be able to parse the notes given a user defined way or a set way through making a text editor of my own.