Evernote Lost My Data: Help?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by palpatine, Aug 14, 2011.

1. palpatine macrumors 68040

Using Evernote 2.1.1 on my MBP running Snow Leopard, and when I opened the program to continue working on a project, everything since my last save (about an hour ago) was gone. What happened!?

I am a premium user and tried looking at the note's history, but the last version it has is from this morning, which is totally useless. I will, of course, contact Evernote, but help won't come in time to help me finish the project today. Reading the Evernote forums, it seems I am not the only one that has had this happen. Any ideas on how to fix this, or am I dead in the water?

I've been a big fan of Evernote, and I have promoted it to friends and to people here on the forums. But, it has utterly failed me at a crucial moment. I am more than a little peeved, and it's going to be a long night now. I am thinking it is time to give up on Evernote. Any suggestions for what I should do here?

2. palpatine thread starter macrumors 68040

Evernote promptly replied. I guess there is a benefit to paying and being a premium member. But, they basically said they will fix it when they fix it.

I am too busy now to mess with this and start a support ticket. But, I'll get around to it this week. For now, I recommend anyone in OSX be careful when using Evernote.

At the moment, I am trying other software looking for something to replace Evernote (at least for work--maybe Evernote can still function as a place to dump stuff, but not as a place to get things done, because it is unreliable).

Here is the Evernote canned response.

--------------------

Note: Your case has been sent directly to the engineering team. If you were attempting to file a support case, please return to the form and do not select "Bug".

We appreciate you taking the time to send us this error. A case has been filed with the QA team lead. They will classify and fix the bugs in the order determined by the individual project's Lead.

Unfortunately this is not something we can fix for you at this time. Keep in mind you can always access your notes at http://www.evernote.com. If this is a browser-related issue, we suggest using a different browser while you are experiencing the problem.

We will contact you if we need further information to categorize this error.

We apologize for the inconvenience.

Thanks for making Evernote a better product.

Evernote Support

3. marc11 macrumors 68000

Good idea to export your noted to a back up I suppose; you can and should never trust any software 100% no matter what, especially mission critical stuff. Wouldn't Time Machine have a back up of at least some of your notes? Especially as a Premium user they are kept locally and online, so a back up should be in TM.

4. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

5. palpatine thread starter macrumors 68040

damn rebel scum!

i have all of my data. and, i have the old notes in evernote. of course, time machine also has it. what i don't have are the changes i made to that particular note. evernote failed to save them when it closed. the timing sucked, but it wasn't a huge amount of data, so i am ok this time.

however, let's say i am in a meeting or a class taking notes with it and evernote fails to save the notes ( this has happened to people on the evernote forums). i am screwed. evernote is unreliable in osx for taking notes. it has a ton of great features, but if i can'ttrust it to take notes, it sort of loses its luster. i was surprised at how unconcerned aboutthe basic functioning of the program cs seemed to be.

6. Mawal macrumors regular

been there, done that.

I lost data on evernote too, so I switched to simplenote in combinantion with dropbox and nvalt on the mac, works flawless.

I still use evernote as an archive for incoming mails with pdfs attached.

7. FourCandles macrumors 6502a

@OP: Sorry if it's me being dim, but doesn't the above suggest that you've accidentally filed this as a program bug report rather than a support request? You should get a very quick and personal response from the EN team as a Premium subscriber.

EDIT: yes, it is me being dim, sorry. Just seen your comment about not filing a support ticket.

8. palpatine thread starter macrumors 68040

i don't know how i filed it. i guess i put it as bug, because they wrote back and said i should do a support ticket if i want more help. it would have been nice if they had forwarded my message to the appropriate department for a support ticket or whatever.

i filed it the same way with the japanese site (i was hoping to get a quick answer before having to recreate my work) and they have bent over backwards trying to solve this. we have spent several emails sorting out the details with my logs and whatnot, so i haven't got much to report yet. unfortunately, we have not arrived at a solution. i think they are still trying to figure out what went wrong.

so far, i would say the moral of the story is to just press command+s frequently to make sure it gets saved, and don't depend on evernote to save it when you close the note (it is supposed to, but oh well). i have not ever had the program crash or freeze in osx, and evernote has never lost anything i have successfully saved, so i'd say that despite my initial hysteria, it isn't a big deal. it is just something to keep in mind.

@Mawal
    Good to hear. At this point I am thinking I will go with Scrivener to organize my "work," Simplenote to edit that on the iPad (the two seem to sync well, but I still have to play around with this), and Evernote (as you said) as a kind of dumping ground for emails, pdfs, web clippings, and other unsorted stuff. I won't use Evernote anymore as a place to do work.

9. palpatine thread starter macrumors 68040

Final Update:

Japanese Evernote support has looked into it but they were unable to find a solution. They didn't say if they could replicate the issue or not, but I would assume not. I seem to have slipped through the cracks. Oh well.

At this point I am still eyeing Scrivener/SimpleNote as a place to do work and Evernote as a place to dump stuff. VoodooPad is a great place for building a personal wiki as well. Although I'd like everything in one app, using three for my work isn't too bad.

10. Big D 51, Nov 8, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2011

Big D 51 macrumors 6502a

Big D 51