Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kiljoy616

macrumors 68000
Apr 17, 2008
USA
I like it, nice ideal don't you just love all the things people are coming up with, oh look there are some trolls in the forum who are mad that Android can't do this. ROFL. :D

kiljoy616

macrumors 68000
Apr 17, 2008
USA
That is a clever idea.

Now another good idea wood be for an E-ink cover with a dock connector which allows the ipad to use the cover as an external monitor.

We are waiting for you to invent it and sell it to Apple. Please do hurry up and do this. :rolleyes:

ten-oak-druid

macrumors 68000
Jan 11, 2010
We are waiting for you to invent it and sell it to Apple. Please do hurry up and do this. :rolleyes:

I will.

Could you loan me $1,000,000 so that I can get started?

I need to retain some lawyers who will help file a patent and also some people in the business to help me build the prototype.

TimTheEnchanter

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2004
Minneapolis, MN
Picture a thin Message Center window along that edge where you can just peak to see what you have along with time, date and temperature.

This also could be used for some great kids apps.

That said, it would be a limited market as not everyone has a smart cover or wants a smart cover.

It's very imaginative thinking!

PCClone

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2010
Are the haters jealous because they haven't had a single unique idea in their life?

JonAvalon

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2011
Hmm funny, I remember Alex Albrecht describing this exact type of concept when he thought what the smart cover did other than just being a cover on a episode of diggnation.

dccorona

macrumors 68020
Jun 12, 2008
couldnt you do the same thing with a piece of paper?

its clever, but doesnt really use the smart cover tech

szsiddiq

macrumors 6502
Dec 21, 2005
It's cool to see someone making use of these API's, but in this specific app, it doesn't add any new functionality. You can have no cover and have the app show you the answer when you tap.

Vaco Deus

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2008
I think this is not only creative but a great idea!

If I had an iPad I'd totally use this for college

adambadamh

macrumors member
Apr 1, 2011
My guess is the smart cover is not really enabling much here and this could work even with a piece of paper covering the answer and pushing the on/off button. The reason this app works so well is that it is designed so that the question fits just within the first flap of the smart cover. The answer is already there when you turn it on though you have not yet revealed it. There are no smart cover APIs, the app just knows when the iPad has gone to sleep (because the cover was closed in this case) and can then advance the question.

nsB

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2011
Cool App, even though it's simple, I think it's cool that companies are using new technology so quickly for useful apps. Keep it going devs!

motulist

macrumors 601
Dec 2, 2003
Cute gimmick, but that's all it is - a gimmick. This offers absolutely no additional functionality that couldn't be provided by software that does as good a job or better at this same task. Simply make the app take up the full screen with a graphic of a cover that lays over the answer area, then flick your finger upwards on it to pull back the virtual cover.

As I said, it's a cute trick, but it offers no new additional functionality.

jlgolson

Contributing Editor
Jun 2, 2011
Durango, CO
Cute gimmick, but that's all it is - a gimmick. This offers absolutely no additional functionality that couldn't be provided by software that does as good a job or better at this same task. Simply make the app take up the full screen with a graphic of a cover that lays over the answer area, then flick your finger upwards on it to pull back the virtual cover.

As I said, it's a cute trick, but it offers no new additional functionality.
Good thing it's free! You get what you pay for.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.