Evernote Question

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by btrav13, Jun 28, 2010.

1. btrav13 macrumors 6502

So when I create notes on my iPad in Evernote and save them, 1/2 the time when I try to access them again I get an error message about rich text notes not being accessible. I cannot figure out what I'm doing differently to these few that make them become un-accessible. The other 1/2 of the notes are just fine, and I've done nothing different to them than the ones that aren't. Any ideas?

2. superflush macrumors 6502a

3. btrav13 thread starter macrumors 6502

No, on my iPad connected to WIFI. It seems like it takes a period of inactivity. If I put a note in today using the iPad, and try to edit it a few days from now on the iPad again, it will give me the error about not being able to edit rich text notes. If I do it from my MBP on their internet site it works just fine.

EDIT: You know what, I have had that happen offline a couple of times...is that the issue?

4. javaGuru macrumors 6502a

javaGuru

Evernote currently does not support editing "rich text" notes on the iPhone and iPad. This is one huge limitation of this app that I really don't like. I get the same error.

5. Brammy macrumors 65816

From what Evernote said a while back, this is a limitation of Apple's SDK. I'm not a programmer, but Evernote strikes me as the type to be truthful.

That said, yes, it is a big pain. I'm not sure if there's a default setting in Evernote to change all notes to a format you can edit on the ipad.

edit: thread here on Evernote forums discussing it.

6. rspec7 macrumors member

One possibility

The issue you talk about happens to me whenever I create or edit any note from my computer and add text formatting (colors, bold, etc). The iPad version of evernote doesn't seem to be able to allow me to edit these. But if I don't format the text, then the notes work fine on both platforms.

7. JulianL macrumors 65816

RTF is in iOS because some Apple apps use it but, for some weird reason, Apple choose not to expose the functionality to third party developers via the SDK so Evernote (EN) are right. All this means though is that, if EN want to offer RTF editing then they'll need to either wait (and possibly wait, and wait) for Apple to make the necessary SDK APIs available so that EN can use the built in code or else they'll have to implement all the RTF code themselves inside the EN client.

I also follow the EN forums and I agree that they seem to be honest communicators and are also careful to not overcommit and promise things they don't then deliver but, from my reading of some of their posts, I suspect that they are aware that they can't afford to wait forever for Apple (nothing being provided in iOS 4 must have been a big dissapointment) so are looking at options for implementing RTF themselves in the client. I doubt that we'll see anything imminently though (but would love to be proved wrong).

- Julian

8. btrav13 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok, call me dumb, but...what exactly is a "rich text" note? As someone else has mentioned about colors and bolds and such, I don't utilize that stuff. These are simply notes I created on the iPad, then saved and sync'd when the iPad was online, then went to utilize again when the iPad was offline and it tells me I cannot because it is a rich text note. I almost never utilize the Evernote website.

Is there a way to still view them or am I doing something wrong, or is this what the entire discussion is about...that it's just simply not do-able?

9. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Rich text is text with formatting. Different fonts, sizes, colors, bold, italic, underlined, etc. Plain text is just what it sounds like, plain text. Bottom line, it's because you were offline that you couldn't access your notes. The free version of Evernote does not support this but the paid version does.

10. superflush macrumors 6502a

I stopped using Evernote because it doesn't automatically cache the notes to the device, which is horrible when you need the notes offline. Now, I'll only occasionally use Evernote when its super handy for me to do in Shareaholic. I rarely care about this "rich text" crap.

You want Simplenote.
    If you want to do picture notes on occasion, try 3banana.

11. btrav13 thread starter macrumors 6502

I'll try SimpleNote. I found that write-up the guy did here a couple weeks back on the 18 note-taking apps he tried and I downloaded the one he recommended last night...WhiteNote. I'll try both out and thank you for the suggestion. I agree with you that it is extremely annoying...that's kind of the whole point of a note taking app is constant availability.

12. Brammy macrumors 65816

The premium version lets you sync offline notebooks. I tend to use Evernote as a collection of information I come across on the web. 90% of my Evernote content is clipped pages for research purposes.

13. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

Thanks for posting the link to the thread. Obviously this is going to be bugging a number of people (given how many iPad owners are likely to also use Evernote) and so hopefully we'll have a solution available sooner rather than later.

14. btrav13 thread starter macrumors 6502

I am not seeing a premium version of Evernote. Is it called something different?

15. headphonesonly macrumors newbie

It's not a separate app, it's a subscription with Evernote. You can do it on their website, but I also believe it can be done as an in-app purchase. Tap on the Satellite in the bottom right and I think there is an option somewhere there.

16. btrav13 thread starter macrumors 6502

Found it!

1.) $4.99 per month to store notes locally?!?! Are you kidding me lol. That's a little steep!

2.) It says inside of the "go premium" link on the iPad "Local notebook storage: iPhone and iPod Touch only". Can anyone confirm it works on the iPad...not that I'm going to pay them that much money for local note storage.

17. superflush macrumors 6502a

I don't think it is just for that.

Fwiw, it looks like they added local caching about 6 months ago (http://blog.evernote.com/2009/12/23/huge-evernote-for-iphone-update-offline-notebooks-and-more/)
    I have yet to test this out though, as I mainly stopped using it because they didn't have local caching.

Edit: fwiw, Simplenote's Premium services are $9 for the whole year. I don't have it because I don't know if I'd make use of it. But if I ever did, I think the price is very reasonable. http://simplenoteapp.com/premium

18. btrav13 thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm not seeing $9 anywhere, and I'm in the app right now. Oh well. I guess it's not a huge issue. I'm finding that about 1/2 of my notes are accessible while offline, the other 1/2 aren't. The 1/2 that aren't are giving me the "Rich Text" error, and I've yet to use rich text (I've honestly yet to do anything different with Evernote besides take simple notes at work and at home in plain text with nothing else).

I've downloaded and played around with SimpleNote and that might be the one I end up using. I just really wish that I could sort SimpleNote into notebooks with titles for collecting notes of a similar nature.

19. JulianL macrumors 65816

It's actually $5 now according to the web site but, if you take a 12 month subscription then it's $45 a year so $3.75 a month. I don't think they intend the monthly fee to be a long term thing that someone would buy, it's more for people that want to try it for a month before deciding whether to commit to a full year.

Premium is also for more than just offline access, here's the full table of features: http://www.evernote.com/about/premium/

Having said that, if none of the other features are of interest to you then you're right, you are effectively being forced to pay $45 a year for the one thing you care about. There has been comment on this on the Evernote forums but I haven't seen any indication that they are seriously considering a "Premium Lite" offer at a lower price but you never know.

I am an Evernote user but I haven't been able to bring myself to put money in their pockets yet. My big thing now is no rich text editing on the iPhone/iPad/iTouch platforms, if Evernote fix that then I probably will go premium.

Regarding offline on the iPad, I don't know for sure but, given that the app is a universal binary, I'd be 99.9% confident that offline access is there on all the i<whatever> devices including the iPad.

- Julian

20. superflush macrumors 6502a

If you are in Simplenote, tap options in the upper-left, and then tap "Premium Features."
    Or just check this out online: http://simplenoteapp.com/premium

21. btrav13 thread starter macrumors 6502

I see. I'm confusing $9 SimpleNote with Evernote. Sorry about that.

22. superflush macrumors 6502a

It's okay.
    Simplenote Premium is $9 per year.
    Evernote Premium is $45 per year.

23. btrav13 thread starter macrumors 6502

So I've been running some tests on Evernote. I've been making some notes in Evernote while online. I made 10 notes. All of them had only one thing in the note...the number 1 in one note, the number 2 in another note, the number 3 in another note. So on and so forth. So I had 10 total notes, extremely basic. Just typed the number and then saved it.

6 of them open offline. 4 do not. No rhyme or reason to this at all. All done the exact same way. I LOVE Evernote...I HATE this issue.

24. superflush macrumors 6502a

This is why I stopped using it. I was in Europe, in my friend's apartment with WiFi, and pasted 2 small things of directions into 2 notes in Evernote (directions from where I was to a train station & directions from the train station in another city to where I was going). I refreshed the Evernote app and made sure that I saw both the notes in the list. Then I walk outside and try to open the notes, and the note won't load.
    To me, this is one of the fundamental aspects of a notes app. The ability to open basic small pieces of text while offline is pretty simple. When I put things into a notes app, I usually need to pull them up quickly (and often times offline). What good is all these "rich text" features, if the most basic part of a notes app that I truly need doesn't work properly.
    This is why I have given up on Evernote (its on my 3rd or 4th page on my iPad).

I use Simplenote, and I find it to be much better at what I actually need.
    I also use 3banana, because they have an Android app & they also do photo notes.
    I keep them both on the first page on my iPad.

25. Brammy macrumors 65816

I'm going to ask a straightforward question that you most likely have done: You have told the iOS app to sync that notebook offline, and checked the status window (not just the spinning wheel) to make sure it's completed?

I've found that pop-up to be very helpful on sorting out what the iPad is actually doing.