Every aluminum iMac owner with want this...

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Eric Lewis, Jan 31, 2008.

1. Eric Lewis macrumors 68020

Eric Lewis

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Its like 65bucks...what a deal

i ordered one!

2. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

3. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

That IS pretty sweet. I just wish the USB ports were in the back. I would be using them for a UPS/Printer etc. Not USB keys. So the cables would be unsightly.

4. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

or the side. but its is freaking nice. i kinda want one for my iMac G5 even.

5. errol macrumors 6502

errol

6. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

7. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

Agreed. I want to see more pictures. I found some on engadget though.

8. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

Wonder what it looks like from the back. Maybe you could turn it around so the ports face backwards. and run the ends of what cables you need around the side or just over the top. iPod, docks, cameras, printers, drives, etc.

9. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

I want to know this as well.

Reading engadget it mentions having a power connector for the usb hub. I'd imagine that would be 'in your face' if you turned it around...

10. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

Maybe, but if it feeds a cord from the back of that hub along with a cord to go into the iMacs usb, then you could turn those around and feed them out the front/now the back. If that hub goes the length of it and you have the usb and power at the back, then no dice. That would be a shame. I would only use it backwards and run the ends of the cables I need around to the front. Also curious if it fits the wireless KB. Then a mouse could slide in there too maybe.

11. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

Judging by the height "Raises iMac 3/4" inch" I'd say the Mighty Mouse would not fit under it. Also "Self powered" on a hub means it has an external power supply, not bus-powered.

[​IMG]

Here's the 'bottom' of the lowkey stand for the mac mini. (above)

[​IMG]

More "bottom" (above)

[​IMG]

Top(above)

12. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

It might where the hub is when turned around if there is nothing at the back end. And with the shorter width of the KB it would fit next to it.

Edit, oh, that is perfect. If it is just like that then it works. Turn it around. Feed the power and usb back out where the ports are and plug the peripherals in to it. Then put an iPod/iPhone dock on the area where they show the remote and run your dig camera cable up the side as well. If I get the wireless kb and it fits height ways, I could put that and the mouse under there too.

13. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

Indeed. The Wireless KB should fit. I don't think it's any (or not much) 'taller' in the back where the keyboard is at it's thickest (where the batteries go) than the wired keyboard since that one has usb ports on each side. It would suck to buy one and not have the wireless keyboard fit though.

The only other issue is if you turn it around like we are thinking, both the usb cable and power cord have to "loop around" which could cause stress on the usb/power connections, also the USB cable will have to string across the back of the iMac, rather than from the same side as in the front position.

14. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

Apple no longer has a restocking fee on accessories, just computers and displays. So I could always return it. I like that thing. But right now I just have the iMac stand. With that I would have a much larger footprint. Sure it has KB storage and a hub. But all of a sudden you have a significant rectangle of metal on your desk. hmm......

15. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

You already have a significant rectangle of metal on your desk, it's your keyboard and iMac.

The space 'saved' by being able to tuck the keyboard in nullifies the space used by it. That's how I see it anyway?

Beside I don't think it's wider than a 24" iMac is wide, so the only space you lose is the area between the bottom of the iMac screen to your desk?

16. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

Well if they ever get their site back up. Then maybe I will order one.

17. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

They are hosted by Yahoo. No wonder it's down. :D

18. takeabyteoutta macrumors 6502

good start

but the USB ports should be centered and facing the back and underneath the shelf. Symmetry is where it's at. The price is also pretty step considering it's really just a fancy USB hub.

19. RevToTheRedline macrumors 6502a

RevToTheRedline

Awesome! I gotta get me one of those, I've wanted a easy access USB hub but have not wanted just another long cable and ugly device on my desk

You buy Apple products but can't justify the price tag of that? :rolleyes:

20. sas76 macrumors member

Can you provide a link, I am in Australia and having no luck finding it here.

Looks vey good. I am glad the ports are on the front and very accesable

21. harcosparky macrumors 68020

I like this, but would prefer the ports turned 90 degrees to the side.

Keyboard and mouse are in frotn ....

Imagine a hard drive, camera, iPod and whatever else hooked up laying around!!!!

I currently have 4-6 devices ( drives ), iPod dock, iPhone dock, Elgato USB Tuner and other junk connected at one time or another.

All ports on back if iMac and a 4 port hub off the keyboard.

I just think shooting them off to the side would allow for a cleaner looking desktop.

But hey, I work with metal and that looks to be aluminum plate.

I think I'll mock up a prototype.

22. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

I confirmed with them that you can use this backwards. So that the tall side is on the left and the ports are on the back left corner. That way you could plug in the cables to the hub on the back and not see them but have your iPod or iPhone dock sitting on top or next to it or have your usb cable to your digital camera mostly hidden with just the end coming up the side for use. The hub is fairly small only about 2" deep and the power cord and usb cord to the iMac could be fed back out by the ports hiding virtually everything.

The one hitch is that they have placed a peg 5" deep to keep the keyboard from being pushed too far in. Because of this you would only have about 4" of depth with it backward and the keyboard is 4.5" deep so it would stick out less than an inch.

23. sas76 macrumors member

Link or contact details please

24. AustinD macrumors regular

Turn the stand around?

25. VZGuy macrumors regular

VZGuy