Every browser that exists is jamming

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dimi94941, Dec 25, 2010.

1. dimi94941 macrumors regular

I used Safari, Firefox and Chrome.

Every browser that I used jammed a lot. Firefox the most, so I switched to Safari... it was nice for a day, and then started jamming. Let me explain: every time I open a new link on a new tab it takes seconds until the site I am on, can function normal.

Then I switched to Chrome, and it was nice, I was happy to finally find a good browser, but after a day, Chrome also started jamming.

I don't know, browsing on the internet, is WAAAY better on OLD windows machine that the newest Macbook Pro 2010...

I am starting to hate my new unibody MBP 15 inch, i7 core. I am this close, to throw this damn thing out of the window... and i payed so much for it... god da*n it...

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

3. snaky69 macrumors 603

What you're describing is not normal behaviour. I'd try repairing disk permissions and see if that does it, if not you're still under warranty you might want to go to the apple store to get it checked out.

4. SASouth macrumors member

Empty your cache.

5. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Flash is also common across all the browsers. Try uninstalling Flash, restart your MBP and then reinstall Flash. Then download ClickToFlash.

Make sure you run Onyx like Hellhammer recommended too.

6. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

As has been said, this is not normal behavior for a MBP at all
    So there has to be a root cause

Emptying your cache is a good start, but it shouldn't bog down that quickly

What kinds of sites are you visiting?
    Have you installed anything unusual from a download or torrent?

7. dimi94941 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks guys for trying to help.

I did try OnyX, I did empty the catche, and I did already used click-to-flash and I tried chrome because it has flash built in it, so i did uninstall flash also...

oh and i did insert the snow leopard disk and reapaired the disk... i also reinstalled snow leopard (archive and install)...

but still, the problem exists...

I did not download any torrent or file that would cause this and i visit normal sites, news, forums... you know, the usual.

8. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Perhaps it is related to your internet connection

How are you connected
    Have you run SpeedTest

9. dimi94941 thread starter macrumors regular

10. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Are you getting the spinning beachball cursor when this happens? I have an aluminum Macbook that paused and beachballed constantly, especially when web browsing, no matter what I tried. Replacing the hard drive fixed it.

11. dimi94941 thread starter macrumors regular

Yes I do get it... on Safari, all I could see was spinning beachball... now on Chrome, it happens occasionally, but when it jamms, it just jamms without a beachball.

12. phonk, Dec 25, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2010

phonk macrumors member

Open the activity monitor and look at the ram usage.
    My Safari / Firefox tend to use all the ram (mbp with 4gb) till there is only 10-30mb free. Everything will get laggy. Since Snow Leopard my OSX has a crappy memory management. Only way to fix this is to restart Safari/Firefox every couple of hours.

EDIT: And you might want to check if you have enough free disk space. With my 200gb HDD I can see a drastic performance drop when there is only 2-3gb left.

13. docal97 macrumors 6502a

docal97

Maybe you should just take it in and let the Genius' run a diagnostic on the machine. If there is no hardware issue, then maybe just reinstalling the OS would solve the problem.

14. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Sounds like you need to add RAM and a larger HDD. One should never let their HDD space dip below 20% of the HDD capacity.

I have 3GB of RAM in my MBP (maxed out) and Safari/Firefox don't use up that much. I still normally have about 1.5GB free normally.

15. kgeier82 macrumors 65816

Check your DNS settings, change them to OpenDNS or Google DNS.

Both are all over the net on how to do it. If it takes a while for a page to be found, and loaded, there you go.

Also check another machine on your network, if its good, then yours has an issue.

16. dimi94941, Dec 25, 2010

dimi94941 thread starter macrumors regular

My hard disk is 500gb capacity and i got 160gb left. i have 4gb ram. People with less ram have no problem with these things i have. and actually i regret buying this expensive machine, when i had a normal pc with 2gb ram and less hard drive space and i didnt have any of these problems.

i would go to the genius but i am in country slovenia in europe, where we dont have support like in the other contries, even iphone isnt officially selling here because the market is too low.

@kgeier82, I already have OpenDNS.

17. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Well based on the comments throughout this thread and your feedback, I am thinking the HDD is the problem. As you said service isn't readily available there, but perhaps you can ship it back to Apple and have them test and hopefully change out the HDD. Or you can do it yourself; it's not hard to do at all.

18. dimi94941 thread starter macrumors regular

I guess I could buy a new HDD... but it really pisses me off... I bought this thing new, from the store, and now I have to buy another thing to get it to work like it was advertised. You know Mac is good and all, but I really hate it right now.

Thank you guys all for help, I really appreciate it. If you have any suggestion what's so ever, don't hesitate.

19. astrorider macrumors 6502

Have you tied running the hardware diagnostic Apple provides on the System Disks? I think you hold down the "D" key while booting with the DVD in the drive. The instructions should be printed on your System disk.

20. dimi94941, Dec 25, 2010

dimi94941 thread starter macrumors regular

@astrorider, I haven't, but I will right away!

Edit: I tried and it said that there is no problem at all.

21. astrorider macrumors 6502

In case it returns a failure, make sure you're running the test while plugged in to power. I got some false positives from the battery sensor because the test needed to run from power.

22. davidlv macrumors 65816

Assuming that your hardware, including the HD is OK, and if you have already looked at the Activity Monitor and haven't found anything using all of the RAM, then the issue is probably a DNS-related problem.
    OpenDNS is not always the best, depending on your location.
    Open a browser and go to http://www.macupdate.com/ where you can run a seach for "namebench" which is a utility to test the DNS servers from your location. It will take awhile to run and provide you with recommendations for DNS servers optimizing your Computer-internet combination. I am located in Japan with a fast optical fiber connection and the results provided by nameserver really made a difference. And they change from time to time as the net evolves. Testing once every three or four months seems advisable.

23. patchouli, Dec 25, 2010

patchouli macrumors member

I shouldn't really be posting because I don't know anything about Macs yet as I am a new user, but just wanted to offer this up as a possibility.. if it doesn't make sense for a Mac, then just throw stones at me... but this problem sounds a lot like what I would endure on my PC when it was too full of spystuff.

You know the things advertisers put on your computer to get stats on where you go, etc? I have read that Macs are alot safer than PCs, but does this not happen with Macs? Have you tried doing a cleanup (if it's even possible to do that stuff with a Mac?) to get rid of any lurking stuff?

Forgive my ignorance of the exact terms for these things :eek:

Does this happen moreso at certain sites than other sites, or is it the same for every site you visit?

24. Reasoned macrumors newbie

Reasoned

This might sound stupid. I had the same problem and found out by accident that expired downloads were locking things up. Went back in and uninstalled, then things worked fine.